Tuesday, January 24, 2017

2017 Volume 2

What!?  Can you believe the end of January is almost here?  I can't even get over how fast time is passing.  Woah slow down!  Here's an update as inspired by my Instagram feed...


Although we are eating more good food and healthy meals, I might have bought Oreos last week!  We are far from perfect but we are eating more fruit and veggies and reading more labels so that's progress!  I am also avoiding drive thrus and we as a family are eating out much less.  I bought a frozen pizza for those nights I don't want to cook and eventually we'll upgrade to making homemade, but for now, I am not stressing out about things.  I've made things like homemade chicken soup, coconut lime sauce on chicken, homemade tomato pasta sauce, BBQ chicken, and Indian curry in the past week for supper.

I posted three pictures about my kids.  When I checked on them before going to bed, I found one with his little foot sticking out over the edge of the bed.  First of all, I would NEVER sleep like that!  Something might grab it!  Haha... childhood fears live on.  And second of all, why is it that innocent moments like this just make my heart want to burst with love?

I am so grateful to raise these kids but man do they drive me crazy with their bickering lately!  They respond to one another with disdain and impatience.  There has been a shift in my home.  The kids all have birthdays coming up and they'll be 12, 10 & 7.  They don't play the way they used to with one another or do imaginative play as much.  (Well the youngest does!  He's the master when it comes to creativity!).  They are getting older and as they grow, our family dynamics are changing.  I sat them down this weekend and pointed out the changes.  I also told them that they are driving me crazy with how they interact.  I don't want to live in a home where we are all fighting and competing with one another.  I reminded them that they are each my child and I love them and it hurts my heart to hear how they treat one another.  Inspired by my youngest's homeroom teacher, I decided to implement a clip chart.  Simple but hey I made it in like 5 minutes with an extra tape measure I had.


They clip up an inch when I see them getting along and being respectful.  If they fight, they clip down.  And because I have my own issues to work on, they get a bonus of clipping up if I loose my cool.  I can't expect behavior from them if I don't model it myself.  I also suggested we come up with a physical sign we can do if we are feeling frustrated rather than yell.  Lance came up with sticking out our tongue while giving the thumbs up on both hands. It looks ridiculous but we've been doing it and it certainly cools the atmosphere.  LOL!  I 've been doing it too except I clasp my hands together.  I told them that I want to remember to pray during those times because I can't do it on my own.  I need God's strength to relax and be calmer. As for rewards, when they get to 30, we get to do something fun together... Read on...

I mentioned that the kids don't play like they used to.  They don't get lost in imaginative play like before so they are "bored" more.  Their demands for game and gadget time has increased.  I am trying to limit their electronic time after reading articles from sources like Dr. Dunckley {link below} who writes about the affects it has on kids brain development.  So if I want to keep them {and myself} off screens, then we have to DO more preferably away from the house.  I took them out last weekend to open play at a local gymnastics center.  It was a really great time.  Things cost money so that is why I started the clip up chart too.  They have to earn the outings that cost money like bowling, ice-skating, rollerskating, open gym, etc.  I have a million things I can do at home so it's good for me to get out too.  Plus I really like my family and want to spend more quality time with them but you just gotta be intentional with this stuff.  Time passes too quickly with nothing to show for otherwise!

The picture of the Starbucks cup was taken at Target.  I needed a few things but since we had nothing going on, I let the kids hang out in the toy aisles. Weekends when my husband works can be lonely so sometimes I do stuff like that just to pass the time.  Ironically, we bumped into friends so had a great visit while the kids played.

The picture that says: "A heart of gratitude is a heart of worship" was one that I made after my quiet time today.  I read 1 Samuel 12:24 that reads, "Be sure to fear the Lord and faithfully serve Him.  Think of all the wonderful things He has done for you."  In the thinking of the wonderful things, I was just stirred to remember how important it is to have a heart of gratitude, no matter your circumstances.  We lost power and I thanked God for a house sheltered from the elements and kids who didn't wake up afraid.  In moments like that I find myself praising God for His provision rather than cursing Him for what I'm lacking.  That principle can be applied to so many things and I want to be sure to carry that attitude of gratitude with me wherever I go.

That's the quick of it around here.  A Parenting Endeavor!  Hope you all have a great week and here are links to things I mentioned:

Links
Dr. Dunckley
Good Morning Girls bible study
My Instagram Account


sig. oct 2015 photo signature oct 2015_zpskqpepnv4.png

1 comment:

a.vandewege said...

Love this: the honesty, the realizations, and the action plan with a concrete goal. More than one place for me to start.