Wednesday, June 1, 2016

New Wall Decor

Years ago I got the idea of taking one of my favorite parables and putting it on my wall.  I knew I wanted four canvas prints but getting the photos for this project was harder than I thought!

{I talk about the prints in this video but more details are below.}

Here is my inspiration, the "parable of the sower" from Mark 4.  In bold are key words I envisioned for the prints:

4 Again Jesus began to teach by the lake. The crowd that gathered around him was so large that he got into a boat and sat in it out on the lake, while all the people were along the shore at the water’s edge. 2 He taught them many things by parables, and in his teaching said: 3 “Listen! A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants, so that they did not bear grain. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up, grew and produced a crop, some multiplying thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times.” 
If you want to know what that all means, you can read the rest of Mark 4 for the explanation straight from Jesus Himself.  I just love the way this is worded and the imagery, and I especially love the meaning behind it all!

The reason I'm finally getting to this project is that a local photographer, Ralph Kiertianis {click his name to see his Instagram} posted an amazing photo online.  It was of a blue jay with wings spread in flight and seeds in its mouth.  With his permission and for a small fee, I used his photo.  The rest are my own.

Voila... the wall with our old family photos from 2012 has been updated:


I am not a graphic designer and it's far from perfect but I can always update it later. I'm just glad to get it out of my head and off my low-priority to do list! A vision realized!  Woot woot!!

The photo top right was taken on a hike and it's a thorny vine growing next to an old stone wall.  There are many stone walls through the forests here in Connecticut reminding us of old land boundaries.
Click to enlarge
The sun photo I took was oriented portrait so I just made a collage including a wilted drawing.  It's a different vibe from the others but I like it.  One day I hope to take my own photo of a wilted plant in the hot sun but for now this works.

The photo in the bottom right is of the acres of sunflowers grown annually at Buttonwood Farm.  It's a fun event we attend each year.  I could not for the life of me figure out how to include the text so it'd look good.  I wanted all four canvases to have the save font size but something isn't right and I don't know now to fix it.  Again, not a big deal because I can always update this later.

I used "Easy Canvas Prints" and for the lower cost I am happy with what I got.  I can't say I like the way they folded the canvas over the frame and there are a couple imperfections but I'll be giving them feedback on that when I answer their survey.

I really like the way the prints look in my living room.  Less cluttered looking and it's personal art, my fav for the home!

Another project done because I am using Facebook less!  Yay!

sig. oct 2015 photo signature oct 2015_zpskqpepnv4.png

No comments: