Monday, October 12, 2015

Gypsy in a new town

I’ve lived in my current house for 6 years!  I haven’t lived anywhere that long ever before!  In fact, I counted {thanks to INS who needed all my prior addresses in a 10 year span before I moved to the USA} and I moved 27 times in my 38 years of life!  Crazy or what?!  No wonder my Mom called me a gypsy for so long! 

In the past couple years, I started to feel a stronger desire to really plug into my current town and community.  Then I had a major epiphany this summer… my husband and I may have grown up in Canada and have no deep connection to this area, but this our kids’ hometown!  They are going to have all the nostalgia and memories just like we have towards our city back "home".  This is where they are living their childhood!  Man, that hit me hard and made me want to tap into where we are living all the more.

My kids learned about our town’s history last spring for a homeschool project which really opened our eyes to the things around us.  We finally know the history behind this fountain we drive by regularly:

donated to the town by a woman in memory of her father and brother
It made us appreciate this old milling community and how the various sections of our town were split up.  They love the old library even more too!  I started being more intentional about attending events in our area, shopping here, and eating at local restaurants.  This draw to plug in contributed to {although was not the leading reason} to send our kids to public school after homeschooling for three years.  {Click here to read about that.}

I’ve been getting involved at my kids’ schools and really enjoy meeting new people.  I’ve attended a couple PTO meetings, a community/school partnership meeting and the superintendent opens his office for a meeting every month.  I'm volunteering in a classroom regularly, already chaperoned a field trip, and chaperoning a school dance this week!  I love hearing what’s going on behind the scenes and helping when I can.  I feel part of something in a way I hadn't before and it's really nice.

What's going on in your neck of the woods?  Are you a proud town resident of your town?  Or are you not from around there and feel disconnected?  How could you plug in more?  

sig. oct 2015 photo signature oct 2015_zpskqpepnv4.png

1 comment:

Kadie @ 12 twenty8 said...

I hear ya! We have lived in our home for 12 years...which is forever for me! By age 21, I had moved 49 times! So this is as much of a hometown as I have ever had. ;)