Monday, May 25, 2015

Reshaping It All, my physical endeavor

MY JEANS DON'T FIT!
I have shared my desires to get fit and stay active here on my blog before.  Another new year started and although I was a little more active, I still wasn't doing regular exercise and my pants told me so!  I was unable to fit into many of my pants from last winter.  Sniff, sniff.  If you saw me in the past few months, I was wearing one of the two pair of jeans I own that fit.  So sad - and I refused to buy more when I had a closet full just 8lbs away from fitting!

SUMMER IS A COMIN'
Last month I thought ahead to summer, I really didn't want to wear only part of my wardrobe for another season! Needing motivation, I ripped out a little newspaper ad about my town's upcoming 5K in June.  I tucked in on my wall organizer as a visual reminder of what I'd like to achieve again.  I wasn't sure I would do that exact 5K but I knew I needed a goal again. This was the first time since 2012 when I ran three 5Ks {my first and only ones}, that I wanted to run again.  It's just an easy way to work out!

RESHAPING IT ALL BY CANDACE CAMERON BURE
But how to get there?  Clearly my sporadic hops on the treadmill were NOT going to be enough.  Ugh... I was so unmotivated and felt an inner battle.  I knew I needed some help emotionally so I picked up a book from my reading list called "Reshaping It All" by Candace Cameron Bure.  I was hoping she might say something that'd help me and did she ever!
{On her website}
I read the book and was very encouraged!  Not only with working out but with food too.  She talked a lot about using food as fuel rather than simply pleasure {although she loves to eat!}.  She discussed portion control and making better choices.
Before eating, HALT.  Ask yourself if you are Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired. p.60
Yikes!  I know I eat not just the wrong foods, but for the wrong reasons.  That was a great reality check.   She also reminded me that I have ultimate control over the choices I make and I need to be smarter.
"Instead of taming our uncontrolled appetite to behave like it should, we continue to nurture and spoil it overtime." p.13
 And she reminded me that when it comes to working out, it's also a choice.  Simple as that.
"Remember that your reaction to each situation - whether weak or strong - is the only thing that can hurt you, so choose it well." p.163
And something that was REALLY convicting... A series of questions from p.134 that asked how conscious I'm living.  She wrote that conscious living involves choice, determination and accountability.  I have been so wrong in so many areas.  Just look at the self-reflection questions:
  • Do you eat mindlessly, or do you consider the food you consume?
  • Do you channel surf, or do you turn the TV on to watch a program, and then turn it off when it's over?
  • Do you walk the aisles of the grocery store buying whatever looks good, or do you make a list and follow it?
  •  Do you listen as much as you talk?
  • When you read, does your mind wander off?
  • Do you surf the Internet, and later realize you just wasted a whole lot of time? 
  • Do you have a closet full of clothing that you bought on a whim?
  • Look around the room.  Do you see things that you constantly step over instead of putting them in their place?
"If you find that you're zoning out of life a little too often, this may be a good time to start monitoring yourself and start living again." 
See yourself in those questions, mindlessly going through life?  I do.

And my favorite scripture from the book, which I constantly have referred back to since I read it:
"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful.  Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."  Hebrews 12:11
SWEET ACCOUNTABILITY
Towards the end of April, while I was reading this book, a local friend of mine blogged about her desire to get in shape and run her first 5K, something she's wanted to do for 6 years.  We are new friends and she had no idea of my past or struggles.  I filled her in and told her about the ad I clipped and together we agreed to run together!  She was just the accountability I needed to get through this new period of developing good and lasting habits!

WHAT I DO
Ultimately my goal is to do cardio every day, whether it's run, Zumba, hike with the family, etc.  Sometimes things come up like outings with the kids {ahem... beach days soon!} so those become my rest days.  I'm not training hard, just steady so don't need scheduled rest days.  I am living more consciously and with more intention.  So as simple as this sounds, I just look at my day and plan where I can fit in my workout.  Afterwards, I add it to my work out calendar because I am a visual person and like to see my activity and progress!
"Priorities have a way of squeezing out the less pleasant activities, unless we make a point to prioritize them." p.43 of Reshaping It All

A month ago I started strength training too, a goal I've had for awhile.  A couple years ago I heard about HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training at a MOMS group {shout out to Christina P!}.  I'm using an app called "Seven". It was free and has verbal prompts, which I love.  Here's a screen shot of the workout!  I do 30 seconds of each exercise with a 10 second rest between.  It takes 7 minutes hence the same... it's not a crazy movie with Brad Pitt - ha!  I'm not doing each thing at an intense level yet but am working my way to it!  

RESULTS
I've been working out for about a month and have a little breathing room in my pants already!  The scale hasn't moved much but I definitely feel a difference.  That has been an encouragement to me!  I also love not feeling guilty about not working out anymore!

I have a bunch of other things written down that I found encouraging from the book, Reshaping It All.  I feel that the inner battle raging in me is dulling.  I feel armed with more knowledge and know I can succeed!

I shall leave you with these:
"Things that are important deserve nothing less than vigorous pursuit." p.85
"I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified." 1 Cor 9:27 NASB
Living more consciously,
post signature

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thank you for the encouragement and motivation! It's scary how easily "zoning out of life" can sneak up on you. And I love the quote, "Things that are important deserve nothing less than vigorous pursuit." So true!

Tara D said...

Ooooh! Thanks for the tip on the app. I will download it tonight. I have been getting my diet on track in order to heal some digestive issues, but I have been needing the motivation for some exercise and the app sounds perfect! So neat to hear of your success! Sounds like you have a good plan and some good motivation in place :)