Thursday, February 26, 2015

Bernard Melanson, Dec.1957 - Feb.2015

My Dad's younger brother passed away on Feb.25, 2015.  He is one of four siblings and the baby of the family, and sadly the first to pass.

I've been living far from my hometown for over 20 years, so didn't know Bernard well and rarely saw him on our whirlwind visits home.  Years ago when I came to faith though, my husband and I went to church with him and his wife Deb on one of our visits home.  I know Jesus was the center of his life and I'm so grateful that I will see him again one day and have eternity to get to know him!

My earliest memory of Bernard was when I was really little.  I was playing in my grandmother's backyard and I saw him walking in the driveway.  I thought it was my Dad and ran to him yelling, "Daddy!".  I still remember the embarrassment when I realized it was my uncle!  ha!  {In my defense they were only a year and half apart and looked alike!}

He had a rough beginning to life losing his Dad when he was a year old and later suffered through some tragedies that no one should live through.  But he did well the past couple decades, with his wife Deb at his side.  He really turned his life around, living to serve others and spread the message of God's love.  I wish I could share more but most of the stories I know are second hand and not mine to tell.  But I can say, I have directly benefited from his faith.  To see my family walk with the Lord because of Bernard's efforts and bible studies, makes my heart so happy!  To hear that my Dad and his siblings were gathering together centered on learning God's word is a powerful image and I am so grateful they have each other.

He will be missed so much by many.  Below is a photo of me with his kids Rachel and Bo {on either side of me}.  I was really close to Bo growing up and my heart aches that they have lost their Dad.


I can't make it to the funeral.  Saint John is buried in snow {with more coming and it's snowing here now}, I don't have winter tires, plus my husband isn't available to travel with me even if snow wasn't a factor.  Just too far in the winter with three kids alone.  My heart is sad to not make it to the funeral.  I hope it's a great celebration of his life!

The bible verse that comes to mind is from Matthew 25...

His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; .... Enter into the joy of your lord.’  Matthew 25:23(NKJV)

Well done indeed.

---


It is with sadness, we announce the passing of Bernard “Bernie” Wayne Melanson which occurred suddenly, yet peacefully at his residence on February 25th, 2015 surrounded by his loving family.  Bernie was born on December 20, 1957 in Saint John, NB to the late Vera (Robichaud) and Robert Melanson. Bernard was a devoted family man and a very caring and loving person.  He was a Man of God who practiced and lived by his faith. He especially enjoyed his Tuesday morning Bible Study Group. Throughout his life, he worked at the Atlantic Sugar Refinery, but is well known in the community for owning and managing his own business, “Agenda Cleaning Services” for the past 20 years. Bernie was a huge Montreal Canadians fan and was very avid about sports cars.  Bernie is survived by his wife of 23 years, Debra Melanson and his two children; Bernard “Bo” (Amy Washburn) and Rachel (Daniel) Galbraith. He is also survived by his brother; Jay (Pam) and sisters; Gerry (Frank) Stevens and Bunny Patterson. Bernie will be forever missed by his granddaughter Katelyn Melanson. Also survived by several nieces and nephews. He will especially be remembered and missed by his three special dogs; Teddy, Al and Tucker.
Arrangements are entrusted to the Fundy Funeral Home, 230 Westmorland Road (646-2424).
Bernard will be resting at the funeral home on Friday, February 27 2015 with visitation being held between 2:00-4:00 and 6:00-8:00 p.m. The funeral service will be held on Saturday, February 28 2015 at 10:00 a.m. from the Fundy Funeral Home Chapel. 
Memorial donations in memory of Bernie may be placed with Bobby’s Hospice.
Online messages of condolences can be placed at www.fundyfuneralhome.com
Obituary copied from here.

post signature

No comments: