Saturday, January 3, 2015

The dog ate my bible

Years ago we had a dog named Junior.  He was a cute little thing and we had him for two years before he got sick.  Anyway, he was a stinker and chewed many things around our house.  One time I had my bible open and he chewed it and licked it, so I lost a few verses at the bottom of a couple pages.  I never repaired it although it was one of those things on my low priority to do list.

For the past three years, I haven't really touched that bible much because I got a new one when I started studying with Good Morning Girls.  Recently I heard about bible journaling {scrapbooking/doodles/color meets bible study}, and I thought it'd be a good idea to take that older bible to church with me and use it to doodle in instead of using the church bulletin.  Well wouldn't you know, last Sunday, my FIRST time taking this bible to church, we were in Ecclesiastes, the place of the doggie torn pages.  I looked at the damage, thought about my sweet pup and prioritized fixing the missing verses when I got home!!

I did it. I got out my iPad and post it notes and looked up the long missing verses and near died when I saw what was missing from Ecclesiastes 3:6-7.
It said:
6a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,

WHAT IN THE WORLD!  "A time to tear and a time to mend"?  Seriously?  I couldn't believe it!  I thought that was such a crazy coincidence.  I love how God works!  My heart just smiled with warm memories of Junior... knowing that I had read this chapter once before when we had to make the tough decision to put him down.  He lived a good life with us after we got him from the shelter.
Lopsi and Junior, our furry loves now gone.

1There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
2a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

It's not just a Byrd's song.

post signature

1 comment:

In Light of the Truth... said...

I love those verses and reference them frequently with the kids! There is a time to speak and a time to be silent, a time to play and a time to be still, etc! =)

How funny the timing and verses are with the missing chunk!