Friday, January 30, 2015

Teach them, give them, show them {Week 4 in Exodus}

This week I read Exodus 16-20 with my Good Mornings Girl group!

Moses, with God, is leading the people in the desert.  They complain about being hungry; food is provided.  They complain about being thirsty; water is provided.  They fight; Moses intercedes.  Then as the week closes, we read about Moses getting the commandments to pass along to everyone.

These stories reminded me so much of parenting!
"Mom, I'm hungry!"
"Mom, can I have apple juice?"
"Mom, so and so hit me!"
Just like Moses, I am leading my people!

I am their primary caretaker and I need to teach my children the way to live right.
And just like Moses, I can't do it alone.

His brother Aaron and a man named Hur {possibly his brother-in-law} helped Moses when he was tired and weak:
"Moses' arms soon became so tired he could no longer hold them up.  So Aaron and Hur found a stone for him to sit on.  Then they stood on each side of Moses, holding up his hands.  So his hands held steady until sunset." Exodus 17:12
And Moses' father-in-law saw how he was wearing himself out:
"This is not good!" Moses' father-in-law exclaimed.  "You're going to wear yourself out - and the people, too.  This job is too heavy a burden for you to handle all by yourself." Exodus 18:17-18
{Check out the full story in Exodus.}  

Like Moses, I am so encouraged by advice from my family, friends and even the acquaintances I've met online through the Good Morning Girls Ministry and the blogging community.  There are times I need people's support to "hold my arms up" as I go though tough times.  There are days when I need people to watch my kids so I can regroup and recharge.  There are times when I need a friend to listen as I unload my burdens.  Sometimes we don't think so clearly when we are in the midst of turmoil and having that outside feedback really helps.

And it all comes back to the great task in front of us.  Together, we need to be ready to teach, to give and to show our kids how to live.

So encouraged this week!

post signature

No comments: