Thursday, January 8, 2015

Moses, you aren't the man I thought you were

This week I started my bible study in Exodus with Good Morning Girls.  I've read it before but it's like I never have!  We've been reading about Moses and most of my thoughts of him are wrong and largely based on the Prince of Egypt animation!  haha!  {Reading the bible over and over is so important because random things get in your brain that aren't even scriptural!}  There was no grand rivalry with the Pharaoh's son.  They weren't raised as brothers.  Moses always knew he was a Hebrew.  {I bet that circumcision gave it away!  There was a great discussion in our bible study group today about that!  haha!}  


~O  B  S  E  R  V  A  T  I  O  N  S~
I saw right away that Moses wasn't this perfect guy always doing the right thing.  He actually killed a man and knew exactly what he was doing when he did it!  

After looking in all directions to make sure no one was watching, Moses killed the Egyptian and hid the body in the sand. ~Exodus 2:12 NLT

Later when God spoke to him from the infamous burning bush, Moses actually doubted himself.  He was not this confident and fully obedient guy I had always pictured!  He pleaded with God four different times!  
{1} - But Moses protested to God, “Who am I to appear before Pharaoh? Who am I to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt?” ~Exodus 3:11 NLT
{2} - But Moses protested, “If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ they will ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what should I tell them?” ~Exodus 3:13 NLT
{3} - But Moses protested again, “What if they won’t believe me or listen to me? What if they say, ‘The Lord never appeared to you’?” ~Exodus 4:1 NLT
{4} - But Moses pleaded with the Lord, “O Lord, I’m not very good with words. I never have been, and I’m not now, even though you have spoken to me. I get tongue-tied, and my words get tangled.” ~Exodus 4:10 NLT


~A  P  P  L  I  C  A  T  I  O  N~

In Exodus 3 and 4, we read the exchange between Moses and God.  God wants to send him to Egypt to help rescue His people but Moses protested and pleaded with God over and over again.  And I was just the same way when it came to homeschooling my kids.  It took me a long while to get on board with the idea!  
Just like Moses I doubted and protested....
{1} Who am I to teach my kids?  I don't have a degree!
{2} What if the kids ask questions I can't answer?
{3} What if the kids argue with me and don't do their work?
{4} I'm not smart enough, or patience enough.

And God's answer was the same to me as it was to Moses.  
I will be with you.  ~Exodus 3:12 
I am who I am.  ~Exodus 3:14
The same great, self-sufficient, mighty, powerful, awesome Creator of the universe {and of lil ole me}, will be WITH ME!!!

I might feel unworthy and unable, just like Moses but with God leading me, I CAN do it.  I HAVE been doing it!  I never ever thought in a bazillion years that I could have my kids with me 24/7 raising them full-time and then become responsible for their education too!?  Wow.  Only because of God.  Only with His support.  Only with His grace.  {And whatever obstacle you are facing, the same promises are yours!}

So that was just a glimpse of what I've gotten from Exodus 1-4.  I really look forward to reading more!

On another note, if you're interested in doing this read through bible study with Good Morning Girls and you need a group to plug into, please let me know!  I still have space in my Facebook group for anyone in New England, USA or The Maritimes, Canada!  If you are in another area, I can direct you to a group!

www.goodmorninggirls.org
post signature

4 comments:

The Barbers said...

It's amazing to be reminded that God doesn't use "super Christians" or wait for people to be "perfect" or capable. Moses really was just an ordinary man, and God chose to work through him despite Moses' many faults. This encourages me. Blessings.
Grace For That

Lauren said...

Great thoughts! I love reading Bible stories where the main character isn't perfect. It reminds me that God can use anyone, even those who have a sinful past. I'm so grateful that we worship a merciful and forgiving God!

ifeoma ezitonye said...

These are thought provoking. God can use the simplest things to accomplish his purpose. God Bless you.

http://purposefulandmeaningful.blogspot.com/

Living4Him87 said...

Hi I found you on the WLW linkup! I am doing the GMG Study, too, and though I have known this story forever, I too am realizing how imperfect Moses was!! So glad God can still use us!!! Be blessed! www.ShieldofFaithHomeschool.blogspot.com