Friday, January 9, 2015

Coconut oil & seborrheic dermatitis

I know a lot of people have been talking about coconut oil and its many health benefits both when consumed and used topically.  If you have NO idea about this, then check out this link to a list of 107 everyday uses for coconut oil or just do an internet search yourself!  You'll find oodles!

So... the scoop.. I have eczema on my scalp, aka seborrheic dermatitis {more info here but eczema is easier to say and most people have a clue what I'm talking about!}  Normally it's contained just to that area but sometimes it spreads in front of my ears.  A couple months ago I got it on my forehead and on just one eyebrow!  I have never had it spread so far on my face before!  

{Yay me... my sensitive skin is reason I limit make-up... Oh and I'm lazy!  haha!}

So going back to coconut oil.... I first started using it as a carrier for essential oils which I wrote about {here} but since then I've been trying to use it in other ways.  After this eczema outbreak along with the lovely dryness from the colder weather, I decided to try the coconut oil as a daily moisturizer for my face.  Within days, the patches of eczema on my forehead cleared up!!  I have never seen it clear up this quickly before?!  I was so excited and had to share!  Apparently coconut oil is antibacterial and has anti-fungal properties.  I had no idea!


WOULD LOVE FEEDBACK
Although the coconut oil worked on my forehead, I don't know how to use it on my scalp.  My hair would look really greasy if I applied it there.  Soooo if anyone reading this has any insight or advice on how to help, I would love to hear from you!  I started to break out when I was a teenager and the only time my scalp has been perfectly clear was when I was pregnant!  I always thought it was hormonal but I've been learning lately is that is could be related to food. In the past 20+ years, I have used Head & Shoulders, Selsun Blue, tar shampoos, Neutrogena T-gel, tea tree oil shampoo, and even a prescription shampoo.  The most relief I ever got was when I went "no poo" and used baking soda in water to wash my hair and vinegar and water to rinse.  I did that for a couple months in 2013 and although my scalp loved it, my hair did not!   So much more research to do and would appreciate any help!

post signature

No comments: