Friday, October 17, 2014

Bible study update in Genesis

I am currently reading through Genesis with Good Morning Girls.  I've read it before but holy smokes it's so cool to see the stuff I'm noticing this time around!  I have more bible knowledge under my belt since I last read this book so things are standing out that I skimmed over before.  It's kinda like when you watch a movie over and over and notice new things in the background you missed before!

stock photo
Part of our bible study format is to see how the scripture could be applied to us today.  My main focus these days are my husband and kids so that's where my thoughts usually go.  So here are just SOME things that stood out to me since reading Genesis this past month:

Chapter 3:16
“I will sharpen the pain of your pregnancy, and in pain you will give birth.
And you will desire to control your husband, but he will rule over you.”

Many know this is where God puts a curse on woman to have painful childbirths {thanks Eve!} but it was the second part of that verse that stood out to me this read through. Are any wives out there a micro-managing control freak?  Ha!  I know submission is a big problem for many women and the idea of a man "ruling" over us sounds so primitive but in our home, my husband is the leader.  He leads our home with love and doesn't beat and suppress me.  For those working outside the home and have a boss, you submit to him or her, right?  You respect their place of authority and that's kinda how my home is.  Think about it... in the workplace would you try to control your boss and tell him/her what to do?  Well then, that is exactly the problem in many marriages, including mine.  I'm bossy far too often so it was interesting to learn that it was put in our lives as a result of what happened in the garden. Ugh! {again, thanks Eve!!}  Being aware that control is a problem, helps me to be aware of it and work on it.

Chapter 4:7b
Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master.”
My big sin issue is anger.  I have been praying for God to take the hot simmer that's always brewing in me away because I want to to be a nice, calm even-tempered person.  But the day I was in this chapter God taught me something HUGE.  Anger is totally ok!  It's how I react to it that's the problem.  It's ok for me to be a passionate person with emotions.  After all, God gave them to me.  But if I lash out at others and hurt them because I am angry, that is when I sin {aka self-absorbed} and am in the wrong.  I can say pretty mean things to my husband when he ticks me off!  So this verse is a keeper for me.  I must subdue and be anger's master.  I don't want to hurt my family.  This is easier said than done but I am ACTIVELY working on this and was so encouraged by this nugget!

Genesis 8:6-7
"After another forty days, Noah opened the window he had made in the boat and released a raven. The bird flew back and forth until the floodwaters on the earth had dried up." 
Did you know that Noah sent out a raven before a dove?  I had no idea!

Genesis 13:8
"Finally Abram said to Lot, “Let’s not allow this conflict to come between us or our herdsmen. After all, we are close relatives!" 
So many records of people being in conflict!  I love Abram's response here.  Wish all family could take his advice, especially mine!

Genesis 16:4
"So Abram had sexual relations with Hagar, and she became pregnant. But when Hagar knew she was pregnant, she began to treat her mistress, Sarai, with contempt."
I always thought Sarai was super mean to Hagar, or at least that's how it's depicted in that TV show The Bible.  I felt bad for Hagar when she was sent away.  But now I see that she had a major role in it! I also understand why some people say to avoid movies or TV shows about the bible.  They can confuse us so this is a personal conviction.  No more TV shows and movies about the bible for me or at least not til I know scripture better!

Genesis 18:19
"I have singled him out so that he will direct his sons and their families to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just. Then I will do for Abraham all that I have promised.”
This is a great verse with parenting in mind.  I want to teach my kids to do what is right and just.  I want them to be good people who love others well.  Great family verse to tuck away.

Genesis 19:26
"But Lot’s wife looked back as she was following behind him, and she turned into a pillar of salt."
My bible notes said that the verb "looked back" indicated a prolonged, intense gazing toward the world she loved, not a curious glance.  When I first because a Christian I was convicted of many things.  I made the decision to leave my old life behind and follow Jesus but it wasn't out of desire at first... it was out of obedience. I still WANTED certain things.  But as I grew, so did my convictions.  My heart has changed so the things I longed for, no longer even interest me.  One quick reveal would be sexually explicit movies. I used to watch them and enjoy them.  But now I have no desire to watch that stuff and it's taken a long time to get to this point.  At first it was out of obedience but now I just do NOT want those images - or sounds in my head!

Wow!  This was longer than I expected and I didn't even share everything from all 20 chapters but there is so much more!  It has been such a great journey reading through Genesis so far with my Good Morning Girls group.  I am so grateful to have a place where I can share my discoveries with friends and in turn learn from them!  Such an encouragement to me!


One last little funny to leave you with... I just got back from a trip to my hometown.  My mother saw me reading each day and teased me asking:  "Don't you have that thing memorized yet?"  haha!

Too much in it to EVER be done reading it!

post signature

1 comment:

kimlhine said...

hi Mary
Followed you over here from Good Morning Girls. Loved your post! Have a great week.