Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Two books

I just finished this book called "the gift of an ordinary day" by Katrina Kenison, who is an incredibly gifted and detailed writer.  I enjoyed the parts about her raising her boys but there was a lot of stuff about her house that weren't as interesting to me.  Would I recommend it... sure.  But you might skim through some parts like I did.

Here is an except I really liked.  It refers to the years raising her boys.  

I love that because try as I might, there are certain emotions in an ordinary day that are impossible to photograph!  

I also love how she reminded me that the days of caring for our kids' every little need will soon end.  She wrote about how she helped her son dry off after a bath to the day he requested privacy and closed the door.  It was enlightening to know that those little things I sometimes get annoyed about now, will actually become a treasured memory.

Here's a video clip of her reading and describing more of those moments that pass by in a blink.



If you watched that video, you might have noticed the comment about heaven.  {Umm... there IS a heaven!}  I normally prefer reading books from Christian authors because they are like-minded and as a growing Christian, I want to learn more about how God wants me to live and more about Him.  She mentions many things about raising her boys and I felt God's presence, His wisdom and His strength lacking through those tough years.  But as a lover of psychology and family relations, I think we can learn from people of all walks of life and of all faiths even if their every intention isn't in line with our own.

The take away I got... To treasure the little things.  To enjoy the tedious task of cutting up my kids' meat... to allow them to show me their silly drawings without waving them off as I try to do dishes... to savor the time in the bathroom brushing their teeth... to not roll my eyes when I hear "Mommy I need help."  And because of that, I have been a better, more patient mom since reading this book.  Thank you Katrina Kenison!

So as I finished one book, I craved starting another!  I have missed reading more than I realized.  As I try to avoid wasting time online, I have awakened an old desire to slow down, be still and enjoy a good book.  They encourage me much more than any random quote on my Facebook newsfeed could affect me.

I went to the bookstore yesterday and although I saw MANY books on my "to read list", there was this one book nestled on the shelf screaming "READ ME!".  I didn't recognize the author but I humored it's calling to me anyway and flipped it over, read the back, fanned through the chapters, and read the index.
"We’ve all got our issues! Maybe you feel like life just isn’t going your way, or you’re afraid that you don’t measure up to other people’s expectations. Perhaps you have a hard time managing your temper or have someone in your life you just can’t forgive. We deal with our “issues” every day in one form or another; the problem is, after a while, they start to feel . . . normal. Unchanging. Just part of who we are. And we forget that we have access to the power of Christ—a power that can transform our everyday weaknesses into our greatest strengths and gifts."
See more on the author's website: {here}

Do books do that to you sometimes?  They choose you?  Well that's what happened.  And after reading chapter 1, I am convinced that God put this in my hands.  It is exactly where I am at right now and what I am sifting through and have verbalized to friends.  I have this unsatisfied desire to learn more about this transforming power.  Sure I have changed a lot since becoming a Christian, BUT the core of who I am still needs a lot of work.  I don't want to have the inner battle of anger raging in me.  I don't always act on it, but it is draining to constantly keep it in check.  Wouldn't it be nice if it just stopped bubbling?  So it's with THAT motivation that I turn the pages to this book... cause Lord knows... I have issues!

post signature

1 comment:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Let me know if it can help me figure out how to be on time! lol!