Wednesday, February 5, 2014

2 yummy soup recipes

This week, I made two easy and yummy soups that I wanted to share since so many of us are in the middle of a crazy, snowy, cold winter!

I had a subscription to Cooking Light years ago and saved this recipe that I just tried this week!  It was definitely yummy with ingredients I had on hand and I'll be making again!  Crazy it took me 10 years to get around to trying it!  {I found a link to it online here if you want the nutrional info.}

Tortilla Soup {but I called it salsa soup}

2 cups no salt-added tomato sauce 
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup bottled salsa 
1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth 
1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained 
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded, reduced-fat cheddar cheese 
30 fat-free baked tortilla chips

Directions:
Combine first 9 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes. Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with cheese. Serve with chips.  Jenny Thompson, Cooking Light, Sept. 2004


I also made this delicious chicken chili found HERE on Peak313's blog.  She suggested making it in the crockpot but I let mine simmer for 2 hours on the stove top and it was delicious!  Definitely making this again too!


White Chicken Chili

3 15oz cans Great Northern beans, drained
8 oz. cooked and shredded chicken breasts (canned chicken can be used!)
1 cup chopped onions
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow, red or green bell peppers
2 jalapeno chili peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped (optional)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
sour cream (or plain greek yogurt)
shredded cheddar cheese
tortilla chips


Directions:
Combine all ingredients except sour cream, cheddar cheese, and chips in slow cooker. Cover. Cook on low 8-10 hrs, or high 4-5 hrs. Ladle into bowls and top individual servings with sour cream, cheddar cheese, and chips
I didn't use the jalapenos or sour cream like she suggested and it was still super!  We crushed our chips right on the top, and I did use canned chicken because I had it!  I also used 1 can of Great Northern beans, 1 can of small white beans and 1 can of chickpeas because that is what I had and it was soooo good!  This was our favorite of the two.

They were both worth sharing and we had leftovers tonight with drop biscuits on the side.  Mmmm Mmmm!  Everyone but my picky eater enjoyed them!

leftovers
post signature

1 comment:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Oooh that salsa one is making my mouth tingle! I LOVE finding simple vegetarian recipes now that good meat is so expensive. Pinning it now! ;)