Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Speak Life

I, like many parents, am training my kids to love each other and be patient with one another.  To speak kind words, to not tease and to not yell.  But how many of us are succeeding in being a good role model for this behavior??  I know I'm not!

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Galatians 5:22-23a

Such a great list of wonderful qualities to strive for!
I admit, patience and self-control are my weakest of all attributes when it comes to parenting.
I am a poor example and fail daily.
I yell and I scream even after I tell myself to stay cool.  The anger just bursts out of nowhere.  I feel defeated day after day.  (Especially in the winter.)

But kids have this great ability to forgive and not hold grudges.  I could snap at my kids only to have them bounce in the room minutes later showing me a picture they drew.  They teach *ME* about loving unconditionally.  They show me that I can wipe the slate clean and start fresh, right then and there.  I don't have to wait til tomorrow.  Each hour, each moment, is a moment to start over.  And I don't have to carry a bitter or defeated attitude all day.

They teach me about the unconditional love God has for me.  It's pretty amazing!

I recently bought a great album called Eye On It by TobyMac, recommended by my friend Kathy.  There is one particular song that jumps out at me with respect to my kids.  It's called: "Speak Life".  I don't think parenting was what was in the songwriter's mind when he came up with this but I can't help but think of my kids eyes when I listen.  When I yell, their faces are not the same as the sweet happy glowing eyes they have when I speak to them with love.
I want to speak life into my kids.

Here are some great lines from the song.  (Video with lyrics below.)
"We can turn a heart with the words we say." 
"Watch them come alive as soon as you speak hope." 
"Spread the love like fire.  Hope will fall like rain when you speak life with the words you say.


Music is a great great way to lift your spirit.  I am so happy when I hear songs like this that inspire me to continually strive to be better.  God loves me, but he doesn't want to leave me this way.  Always molding and changing me as long as I keep my heart open too.  My prayer is that this post would encourage someone else who is feeling a little overwhelmed with this parenting gig.  You are not alone!

On another note... I highly recommend the whole album.  So many great songs!  My almost 8-year old LOVES this album and sings along with me.  It's excellent!

Thanks for swinging by!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Loved this post Mary! Recently I told John that he could come to me if he was ever upset with me or if something was really bothering him so he comes up to me and said, "Mama, you are really cranky today and you're taking it out on me and Hunter." I have to be more careful what I ask for...but I love that he spoke to me respectfully and kindly but spoke such truth to my heart. And he still loves me in spite of me, for which I am most grateful for.