Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The Sparkle Box

Merry Christmas!  We had a great one this year!  We celebrated on the weekend because of family schedules.  The kids opened their presents on Saturday and we had a family dinner on Sunday.

Today, the 25th, we're making cupcakes with V's new Easy Bake oven in honor of Jesus' birthday but other than that we are laying low.  We originally had plans to get together with friends but we had to cancel.  I had flu-like symptoms and was pretty much bedridden all day yesterday.  While laying in bed, I listened to a podcast to keep my mind off the nausea.  That's the reason for this post!  I had to share a great idea!!!

I think I've mentioned before that I enjoy listening to FamilyTalk radio.  Yesterday I listened to their broadcast dated Dec.21st about the Sparkle Box.  It's a creative way to center Christmas on Jesus.  The author decided to write the book after doing this tradition in her own home for years.  I was so inspired by it that I decided to do it too!  


FamilyTalk got special permission from the publisher to read it on air!  (So glad but I just ordered the book to have for next year anyway!)  They had sound effects and it was a really great dramatic reading!!  So I played that for the kids and afterwards showed them our own Sparkle Box.  Inside, written on slips of paper, were different things that we've done to love others that is God-honoring and like a gift to Jesus.


The one showing in the photo above says:  "Vienna and Lance packed shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child.  Our boxes went to Zambia, Africa and Sri Lanka."  I also included one about us opening our home to friends to decorate cookies.  But you could include anything at all that you do to show your love to others like serve in a soup kitchen, donate mitts to a homeless shelter, visit a retirement home, or even doing someone else's chores.  It doesn't have to be about money but about attitude and a serving heart.  I even wrote down that Vienna and Lance cleaned their playroom without complaining.  That is HUGE!

I really want the focus of Christmas to be on what truly matters.  And serving God with a grateful and thankful attitude is what I want my kids to learn more than anything.

Again the links are as follows:
The Sparkle Box's main website.
Listen to the broadcast on FamilyTalk.
Buy the book on Amazon.

Merry Christmas from the Newmans!
Jesus is the reason for the season!!!

4 comments:

In Light of the Truth... said...

I love it as long as it's writing what someone else in the family did, or someone outside of the family did for YOU. Just a little twist so it doesn't seem like boasting...

Mary said...

I can see what you mean about boasting but it didn't come across that way at all. We're just sharing with our own little family. I encourage you to take a listen so you know what I mean!

In Light of the Truth... said...

It still seems weird to pat your own self on the back, even if no one else is around. I dunno... I'll have to take a listen sometime...

Mary said...

I must not be explaining it well if that is how it is coming across. It's not the intention at all. It's more of sharing Christ's love and having that attitude and loving others on His behalf... I suppose it's about heart attitude. I asked my husband if he felt it was boastful after you last comment and he didn't think it was either. I would def listen before making such strong comments against it. Especially if I have painted it incorrectly! I wouldn't want to tarnish other people's opinions of it.