Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Sweet & Sour Chicken and Fried Rice

I pinned a recipe on Pinterest the other day for an amazing looking dish.  I made it tonight and it was sooooo super easy and I couldn't believe how tasty it was!  I will definitely be making it again!  

I'm going to type it again here just for easy reference.  It was on the Life as a Lofthouse blog, which I am now following because she has many simple recipes that sound amazing.  I am really trying to find more dairy free meals that the kids would like and that's really hard because they're so picky!  (The beauty of this one is that it seems to be gluten free too for those who need that!)

No more take out necessary!
 Preheat oven to 325F degrees

The chicken coating:
  • 3-4 boneless chicken breasts
  • salt + pepper
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
Rinse 3 or 4 chicken breasts in water and then cut into cubes. 
Season with salt and pepper to taste. 
Dip chicken into cornstarch to coat then dip into the eggs.  (Seems backwards but it works!)
Heat your 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and cook your chicken until browned but not cooked through. 
Place the chicken in a 9x13 greased baking dish. 

The sweet and sour sauce:
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 4 tbs ketchup
  • 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1 tbs soy sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
Wisk all ingredients together.
Pour evenly over the chicken. 
Bake for one hour turning the chicken every 15 minutes. (I took mine out after 45min.)

Fried Rice                                                                                             

3 cups cooked white rice (all the comments say leftover rice won't be as sticky but I used fresh jasmine and it was great.  Mind you I'm not picky.)
3 tbs sesame oil (I used grapeseed)
1 cup frozen peas and carrots (recipe says thawed but mine weren't)
1 small onion, chopped (I didn't use.)
2 tsp minced garlic
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup soy sauce

On medium high heat, heat the oil in a large skillet or wok.  
Add the peas/carrots mix, onion and garlic. Stir fry until tender. 
Lower the heat to medium low and push the mixture off to one side.
Pour eggs on the other side of skillet and stir fry until scrambled. 
Add the rice and soy sauce and blend all together well. 
Stir fry until thoroughly heated.

Puppy hoping I'd serve her some!
Easy peasy and really tasty.  I purred while eating it!  I haaaad to share this one!

1 comment:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

oooooh you're making me so hungry! i i have those recipes pinned, too. now i need a snack! lol