Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Home a Haven Challenge - Cooking

Courtney at Women Living Well has a nice challenge this month to make our home a haven.  Although I haven't been consistent with her specific weekly challenges, I have been very focused on making my home a better place for those of us living here.  (Decluttering as I posted about previously.)

This week she asks us to be more intentional in the kitchen.  I have to confess, this is not an area I thrive.  I actually don't like cooking nevermind introducing young kids to it.  If they bop in the room and ask me if they can help, I let them if there's something they can do.  

But for the most part, the kids are off playing and I do my thing.  

And you know what, I don't feel like I'm failing them.  When my kids are older, things will be different because I want to teach them skills in the kitchen but at ages 7, 5 & 2, they stress me out more than it'd be a great bonding experience.  I saw the pictures of Courtney's daughter and the hot pot on the stove and I thought about burns.  I saw the veggie peeler and thought of nicked fingertips.  But that's how my brain works because this isn't a comfortable area for me.  Give me a few years on this challenge and I can handle it better!  Just keeping it real!  

And just for the record, Vienna did put chocolate chips on some pancakes tonight.  It's not like they are totally uninvolved.  


This week's challenge:
Focus on the kitchen, the heart of the home. Cook things with pleasant aromas – like homemade bread, pies, and cookies. Don’t wait to have a reason to make something special – do it simply to show love to your family. Invite your kids and/or hubby to cook along side of you – make memories in the kitchen – test tasting, being creative, laughing and loving. Remove discontentment and give thanks to God for the home God has given you in which to create a haven for your family.

1 comment:

Women Living Well said...

Love your honesty and heart here!!! You're a great mama!!! Keep walking with the King!
Courtney :)