Monday, November 26, 2012

Final week of Fall Challenge

It's the final week of the Fall Challenge and here is this week's challenge:
"Decorate! The holidays are upon us. Ann Voskamp  says “Creating is good theology. In the beginning God created.” Be creative as you make your home warm, cozy and inviting for the holidays. Think about ways you can keep Christ in Christmas even in the way you decorate.  Decorate – to the glory of God!"



We did decorate for Christmas already!  We did it yesterday because I told the kids we'd decorate after Thanksgiving and they held me to it!  It was really fun because Vienna is 7 and really helped initiate much!  She remembered where things went last year and set them out for me.  She and Lance (5) pretty much decorated the whole tree themselves after Daddy put the lights up!  They stood on chairs to reach the higher spots.  I joined them after I put Colin down for a nap and after I strung some lights along the ceiling.  It was fun and nostalgic for the kids as they went through their own special ornaments.

Per Courtney's post, how do we keep Christ in Christmas?
We have word ornaments for the tree that say Jesus, Hope, Love and Joy as well as other random baby Jesus ornaments.
We have manger scenes in the basement with our tree and upstairs in our living room.  Both are kid friendly!  I also have other ornaments of the manger scene in our kitchen and downstairs bathroom too.


Our Christmas books are on display.  I especially love this book called the ADVENTure of Christmas that points every element of Christmas to Christ!  From lights on the tree to the tree itself.  It's a great book!
We have a magnetic manger scene and add a piece a day to our fridge as we count down the days to Jesus' birthday but I also bought the kids the cardboard scenes with the chocolates in the windows.  I used to love those things!

And a more controversial issue is that I don't promote Santa.  I don't come out and say anything against him but I don't promote him at all.  The kids believe in him and they think he comes and fills their stockings but they know the gifts are from us.  Vienna has written Santa letters in the past and left out cookies and milk and we play along but I don't tell her to do these things.  She knows the story of St.Nick and his generosity.  So Santa is fun but she knows the real reason we're celebrating and I don't ever want her to think we can't enjoy the fun that some customs bring.

So that's the quick low down about how we keep Christ in Christmas.  Tomorrow I start a new bible study with Good Morning Girls!  It's a 4 week Advent study and I am super excited and pray that my heart doesn't get stressed and caught up in my to do list but stays focused on the right thing this season!  


No comments: