Sunday, November 4, 2012

Fall Challenge

One of my favorite bloggers is Courtney at Women Living Well.  She started a new Fall Challenge and I wasn't going to take it, but I've had some things on my mind and I thought I might as well!  She is giving us food for thought about what makes a home a haven.  This is RIGHT up my alley so I'm going for the ride.

When I say right up my alley, I don't mean I have it together.  What I mean is that it's a priority to me and I am not doing a great job right now.  I started homeschooling my 7 and 5 year old in September and in an effort to prevent them from missing friends, I filled the calendar.  And when it wasn't full, we filled our days spontaneously.  But what has happened is that all the low priority things that mean NOTHING in the big scheme of things has really piled up and is bogging me down.
Get ready for confession time...

  • I haven't finished decorating the playroom I started this summer.
  • I'm behind on backing up computer files and photos.
  • My dresser has a pile a foot high on it!  And I have about 4 pairs of earrings that have lost their mate behind it!  
  • Bookshelves packed and disorganized 
  • My master bath left undecorated since we moved in 3 year ago.
  • Frames waiting for pictures from our photo shoot October 2011 (last year!!)
  • and on and on and on....
I much prefer coffee with friends over decorating my home but I must get a handle on this stuff.  It's overwhelming me and I must slow down and tackle these projects, nevermind the regular housework and holiday prep that is coming up.  Oh did I mention I homeschool?!  

Before the hurricane and power outage, I decided to take a "staycation"... Just back off from planning so much and focus on my home.  (If my real life friends read this, I hope you can extend me some grace as I try to commit to this!  Thank you!!!)

Courtney's challenge comes at a great time.  I will light a candle when I am home and remember to pray for peace for my home.  Right now it's more of a drop off zone than a haven.  




From Courtney's blog....
Here’s this week’s challenge:
Go buy an extra large candle and light a candle everyday in your home. I will be starting mine in the morning! But you can start yours at dinner time. Do what makes sense for your family. I will be placing mine in the kitchen – the main hub of my home. Each time the candle catches your eye, say a prayer for peace in your home.  

No comments: