Monday, October 8, 2012

Being Thankful

Today is Thanksgiving in Canada, no longer my home but my native land. :o) We're not doing anything here in CT but I have thought about gratitude a little more today.

I'm really focused on being thankful for life - like my life, the kids' and my husband's lives.


Do you ever say good-bye to your husband before he leaves for work and wonder what'd happen if he got in an accident?
Do you ever drive on the highway doing 70 miles an hour and wonder what'd happen if you woke up in a hospital bed with broken legs only to learn 2 of your 3 children died in the crash?
Do you ever wonder if the doctor will give you bad news at your next check up?
I don't think we ever let ourselves go there because it's morbid and painful to even THINK about, never mind live through.  But that is literally what I have to do to get over myself sometimes.


You know what I think of when I'm feeling selfish and complain about mediocre things?
Death and illness like...
A local 6 year old boy sucked into a wood chipper whose story still tugs at my heart.
Children diagnosed with cancer - dealing with treatments and illness when they just want to play.
A wife who lost her husband and two young children in a car accident then having to move on totally alone.
A local mother screaming outside her home as it burned last Christmas; her children and parents died inside.

These stories (among many others) really give me perspective.  Half the things that stress me out are really not worth stressing over (ie. cleaning up toys!).  I need to look at the bigger picture and have that perspective to regroup and handle life better.

I don't want to have regrets if/when tragedy strikes our family.  I want to love my family the best way I can TODAY.  We must remember that we are not in control of our lives and our lives are oh so temporary.


I am my own worse enemy when it comes to living a more abundant life....  a life filled with joy and gratitude.  This is the day the Lord has made.  Let's rejoice and be glad in it!  Psalm 118:24



1 comment:

Steph said...

How true, Mary! Thanks for food for thought! I find thinking about 5 things or people or situations I am grateful for starts my day in the right direction and provides me with an inner peace. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and scripture passage.