Thursday, September 27, 2012

Step by step, the more productive

I have posted before about not really enjoying or wanting to read the bible.  I read it when I attended bible studies but I never really cared for picking it up and just reading for the sake of reading.  I've been a Jesus believing Christian now for 12 years and that all changed this year... finally!  I had been praying for that desire for a long long time!
Looking back, I suppose I didn't understand it well enough to want to read it.  I knew stories in it but overall it was confusing and kinda intimidating.  BUT what has happened to me this year (and is continuing to happen) is it's all coming together in my old brain.  Knowledge of the old testament fitting into the new.  The laws, customs, and history are becoming interesting to me, especially when I see the parallels to today's culture (which really wasn't that different actually - human nature is human nature).  All the million questions I had have been answered while new ones are forming.  It's so bizarre.  I am not a "baby" Christian anymore.  More like a preschooler I'd say!

I am so thankful that I am blessed to now have this knowledge.  My heart has softened and I am open to learning.  This verse in Acts really speaks to me!



You see, it's about the condition of your heart.  If you are looking at scripture skeptically and wanting to tear it apart, you simply will NOT get it.  But if you are truly seeking, you will find the answers.


I have been seeking patience and endurance as a stay-at-home-new-to-homeschooling mom of three.
I know the answers and the inspiration I need are in the bible.  God's wisdom is available to me.

A great quote that I keep coming across is in 2 Peter 1.  I think it first stood out because of the word PRODUCTIVE and my blog is called A PRODUCTIVE ENDEAVOR.  :o)  I read it awhile ago and though that is was cool.  Then it came up again recently while reading "Made to Crave" and I looked at it closer.

2 Peter 1:5-8 (NLT)

In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Knowledge is on the same line as self-control and patient endurance!  Woot woot!  I have HUGE faith that if I keep on truckin', I'm going to "get" that too!  Just like I magically (well not really because it's from God but it feels like that!), just like I magically enjoy reading the bible, I hope to become a patient and calm mom.  I just gotta keep seeking it!


All of this makes me think of a song by Rich Mullins called Step by Step (not like NKOTB! - ha!).  Here are some of the lyrics that just stand out to me... (song via youtube below if you want to listen to it).

There was so worth much left to do
But so much you'd already done

And on this road to righteousness
Sometimes the glime can be so steep
I may falter in my steps
But never beyond Your reach

I will seek You in the morning
And I will learn to walk in Your ways
And step by step You'll lead me
And I will follow You all of my days




step by step
no matter now small.