Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Revive Your Marriage: My love story

I am reading a wonderful blog series called Revive Your Marriage.

They are posting each Monday and since I didn't do my blog reading til late last night, I didn't get a chance to post.  Here is my entry a day late!



16 years ago THIS month, my husband and I started dating.  !!!  Holy smokes!

We met 21 years ago back when we were 14.  He was in my best friend's class and we yapped on the phone all the time.  I had a mega crush on him but he wasn't interested.  I don't know why he wouldn't be... Look how awesome my jogging suit is!  (And yes, I wore it to Junior High.)

When I was almost 16, I moved in with my Dad who lived in Ontario.  Three and a half years later I moved back to my hometown.  Jay went on a student exchange for a year.  We both returned the same summer...  Summer 1996.
I looked up old friends and found him.
We've been together ever since!

He is so funny and we always laugh.  He doesn't nag me about anything.  I always felt he just loved me  as I am.  He never told me to change anything and I felt unconditional love.  He's so easy going. I needed a dose of that (and still do!).

We got married in 1999.  Eloped on his Christmas break.  I purposely kept God out of our ceremony.  We were not people of faith back then.  We got married so I could move to the USA with him.  Otherwise I could have cared less about a piece of paper.  (Woof... that was making a long story VERY short!)

Fast forward through amazing situations that led us to Christ, we are more in love now than ever.  We are centered on God and we are happy together.  We are both convinced that without Christ, we would NEVER have lasted.  We have a deeper love and connection now than we ever thought possible!  (And we were baptized together in 2002 as a way to commit our marriage to God.)

We are in awe that we have been together since we were 19 and don't even understand how we made it to this point.  But we are grateful.  So very grateful for the chance at this kind of love.

A change in my attitude this week will be one of gratitude.  Just so grateful to have Jay in my life.  He is an amazing husband and father and I don't ever want to take him for granted.  And he is my best friend.  :o)

Photo by Ian Pawluk. Oct 2011.
Visit my post from Revive Your Marriage, week 1 here.  



2 comments:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

love love love that last photo! oh and i totally wish track suits were still acceptable wear! lol

Sandy said...

Love your story!