Friday, September 21, 2012

Made to Crave

I am currently reading "Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKeurst. I like the description on the back of the book.
"a book and Bible study to help you find the "want to" in how to make healthy lifestyle changes."  

We all know we SHOULD make healthy decisions for ourselves but I know I struggle with really wanting to.  To truly DESIRE it.  I've written about that before.  And here is a book that addresses one of the biggest issues in my life.  Truly and deeply having the WANT and DESIRE to actually do what I know is right.  Eat right. Exercise and take care of my body properly.  Treat people right.  Spend time in my bible daily.  Love my family the way God wants me to. And on and on...

Here are some things I've learned from this book so far.

We were made to crave - long for, want greatly, desire eagerly, and beg for - God.  Only God. (p.21)

Satan tries to lure us from God in 3 ways:
1.  Cravings: trying to get our physical desires met outside the will of God
2.  Lust of the eyes: trying to get our material desires met outside the will of God
3.  Boasting: trying to get our need for significance met outside the will of God (p.21)

1 Cor 10:23 says that "Everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial."  This is a great truth to think about!

Every time Lysa craved food that wasn't part of her plan, she was prompted to pray.  (p.30)
I love this!  I certainly do not pray when I am feeling lazy and don't want to run.  Or I'm busy and grab convenience foods.  Great stuff to think about!


Another thing that jumped out at me last night was in the chapter called "Made for More".  She writes:

"Too many times, we try to muster up the gumption to make changes in our lives on our own.  And it doesn't take long for the dark feelings discouragement, disillusionment, and defeat to fill our hearts."

We can NOT DO IT on our own!
She refers to a great verse in Ephesians that pretty much gives an overview of how we CAN do it.  Slight tangent before I explain..  I am doing a bible study called Good Morning Girls and we're working through Colossians.  I literally just read the same verse in that letter this week!  (When God has something to tell you, you tend to hear it over and over.)  Here's my quick summary of the verses:

  • Pray more.
  • We need to know what's in the bible (spiritual wisdom) in order to GROW.
  • Knowledge is power!
  • Always give thanks.


I was taken with how similar the verse was that Lysa shared from Ephesians to the one I read this week in Colossians.  I pasted them here after I highlighted, in the same colors, the words in each verse that matched.  LOVE LOVE LOVE these verses!  So encouraging to me!



Ephesians 1:17-19
New Living Translation (NLT)
17 asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you might grow in your knowledge of God. 18 I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope he has given to those he called—his holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance.
19 I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him.


Colossians 1:9-12

New Living Translation (NLT)
So we have not stopped praying for you since we first heard about you. We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding. 10 Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better.
11 We also pray that you will be strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy,
 12 always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light.


This book is borrowed and I don't want to forget the treasures I've read and had to write them down!!  Also I wanted to share what God has been putting in my heart this week.  Just the importance of learning more about Him so I can really live more abundantly.




1 comment:

Sunflowerakb's Yellow House said...

thanks for sharing about this book! I've put it on my wish list!