Friday, August 31, 2012

Prone to wonder

I heard a great song on Pandora radio.  It's by Jadon Lavik and it's a contemporary version of the hymn "Come Thou Fount".  Here is a YouTube video someone put together with the lyrics.  It's just 3 minutes and I'd love for you to just sit back and listen.  The words are beautifully written and the melody is so nice.


The lines that really speak to me are:


O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

It's a daily commitment made new each day THROUGHOUT the day.  Just like people who are committed to eating well or exercising.  There are days we can wake up ready to take on the world but by noon we're eating chocolate chip cookies like potato chips.  We are so prone to wander away from things that are profitable because the alternative usually feels better in the moment.  I rarely purr while eating vegetables as I do eating those chips... I mean cookies... ha!  But we must have a broader perspective, especially when it comes to our faith.  That stuff is eternal unlike our physical health which is just marked by a few decades and then we're done.

Mark 14:38 goes along with this well:  "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”  
I can definitely apply that to many areas of my life!  
Socially, emotionally, physically and spiritually.
"Here's my heart Lord.  Take and seal it.  Seal it for thy courts above!"

2 comments:

Kellie said...

Marvelous hymn and one of my favorites. Reminds me of my constant need for the Lord and His magnificent grace. Thanks for sharing this beautiful rendition.

Anonymous said...

This is Jadon's Roots Run Deep version - I also like his The road Acoustic version - I like that simple acoustic sound - oh I like the full on studio sound too - but - for me "The Road" is more like you're hanging with Jadon on a beach or something. I met him once and I think you could talk to him about this. Well, I enjoyed reading your blog, thanks.