Friday, April 6, 2012

Brushing a toddler's teeth

My little Colin will be TWO this month!  I love how he's growing and he's such a sweet boy but he's entering those "testing two's"... (I refuse to say terrible because I love how much they learn this year!).  He likes to be independent and do more on his own, like brush his teeth.  But sadly, he can't thoroughly get them all.  And actually he just mostly bites the toothbrush and sucks the "safe to swallow" toothpaste off the brush.  When I take the toothbrush from him, he cries and twists and turns away from me.  What a struggle!  I pinned him down a couple times before and I thought:  "They're gotta be an easier way!"  Then I remembered what I did with the other two and had to share!
I ask him what he ate today.  As I brush I list what I see.  "I see Cheerios.  Mmmm Cheerios.  I see chicken.  I see bananas.  Get those teeth clean.  What else did you eat?...etc..."  He often just sits there and looks at me with a little smile and it becomes fun rather than chore.
I hope this little tip might help someone else!

1 comment:

In Light of the Truth... said...

I used to do the same thing! From 1-2 Yr Carter did the bite and suck the toothpaste thing, but now he's entered a phase of wanting me to brush and he sits there FOREVER while I just brush and brush. It's the cutest!