Friday, March 23, 2012

Tuned Out Train

I used to live by railroad tracks when I was younger.  Guests would always comment on the loud rumbling of the train as it passed by, but all of us who lived in the house didn't even notice.
Lance, Aug 2011
Well this train story came to mind today as I questioned on WHY why why why don't my kids always listen to me?!!  I have been repeating myself a lot lately.  They ignore me or take too long to do something I asked them to do.  I feel like they're disrespecting my authority.

Then I got to thinking.... how have I been talking to my kids?  This week I've had a migraine and my temper is short.  The only times I really talk to them is to order them around... 
"Time to get up.  Get dressed.  Hurry up, breakfast is ready.  Go wash your face.  Get your homework.  Shoes on.  Let's go.  Stop touching Colin.  No Teasing.  Don't throw toys in the house, etc."

Cause if I'm honest when they are good, I've been ignoring them!

So really, I'm like that train. Loud but easy to tune out.  Nag, nag, demand, order, do, don't, choo choo... 
Like that train, they just don't hear me anymore because they are used to my tone and demands.  

I had this revelation this morning and ahhh my day has been so.much.better.  Amazing what a little perspective can do!  So I had to share!

Now can anyone believe I have three kids?  When I see them lined up like this, I get overwhelmed with joy and awe sometimes.  

Soon my babies will be 7, 5, & 2.
"do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord."  Ephesians 6:4

No comments: