Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Desire

I have prayed for years for:
DESIRE to want to read the bible and
DESIRE to work out.
July 2008, I blogged about trying to get on track with a chronological read thru.
Oct 2009, I expressed the importance of starting my day in God's Word.
Sept 2010, I wanted to read my bible daily and get on the treadmill.
May 2011, I was def on the right track but still not reading my bible.


Dictionary.com says that desire means "to wish or long for; crave; want".  The noun desire is:  "a longing or craving, as for something that brings satisfaction or enjoyment"
Honestly, reading my bible and working out were nothing I craved.  Not like chocolate anyway!
My 1st empty box of the season.
But I can honestly say that finally, something has clicked!  I desire to know God's Word.  I look forward to my study time.  And I really think it's because of the Good Morning Girls bible study.  


I found a format that really works for me.  Breaking scripture down to just two or three verses is so much easier than reading many chapters.  I am meditating on (thinking about) those words first thing in the morning and again throughout my day as friends chime in on our Facebook group.  And another crazy thing, even my husband has said he noticed a change in me!  Woh!  Something crazy DEF has happened!  


Another perk to all this is NO.MORE.GUILT!  No more beating myself up for NOT doing what I KNOW I should be doing.  I am super pumped about that too!  The inner struggle is gone.  

Now as for working out, that's a different story.  I don't DESIRE it.  I just do it because I have my 5K coming up in 10 days and I know if I don't run, I won't be ready.  So that's more out of desperation to not look like a fool.  But I needed that GOAL to work towards to keep moving.  I hope the desire will eventually come just like it did with GMG.  I first started doing what I had to do based on their reading plan and THEN desire came.  My heart is in the right place but my body is so lazy and weak.  But I do celebrate the fact that although I have no desire YET, I no longer have any guilt in that department either!  WOOT WOOT!

I hope this post might be an encouragement to someone.  We are not that different from one another and something will click for you too if you keep at it!  Don't give up!!!

I'll leave you now with some great quotes about desire.  From the best source of wisdom ever.


Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.


Romans 7:18
For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.


Romans 8:5 Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.


1 Corinthians 12:31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts. [ Love Is Indispensable ] And yet I will show you the most excellent way.


Galatians 5:16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.


Galatians 5:17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.


Ephesians 4:22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires


2 Thessalonians 1:11 With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may bring to fruition your every desire for goodness and your every deed prompted by faith.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

great post!

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Love it. :)

Megan said...

I am in the same boat! GMG has blessed my life by increasing my hunger for God's Wor. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!