Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Running is on hold.

I've been having an issue since last week.  Chest pains when I run.  When it first happened last week, I just figured I slept funny on my left side.  No big deal.  But yesterday as I started my 5 minute walk/warm up, the pain started right away.  It felt like a stitch but higher.  I tried to push through it but after a mile I just couldn't do it anymore and ended my workout without finishing.  First time ever and I'm two workouts away from being DONE!  



My prayer yesterday:  Lord, I'm trying to run the race!  Please let me finish what I've started!  I want to take care of this earthly body that you have given me.  I want to live to be an old lady and watch my kids grow.  Lord, thank you for an able body but what is this?  Why the pain?  Please give me wisdom to know how to proceed.  Thank you.  In Jesus Name.


After talking to friends about it, I thought it could be my posture running or dehydration so went to bed not overly concerned.   But I woke up this morning and the pain was still there.  I've had similar pain before and it was just anxiety so I tried to brush it off.  But then crazy thoughts about my grandfather dying at age 34 from a heart attack, and my dad, aunt and uncle all having heart attacks in their 40s started coming to the surface.  What if it's my turn.... I started to get concerned.

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7
Lord, I don't want to worry about this.  I know you have a plan for my life.  Aging and even death are all inevitable.  But Lord, give me wisdom to know whether to take this seriously or not??


So I went to the ER after calling Jay home from work to help me with the kids.  I figured it would be best to just make sure.  EKG was good.  X-rays looks good.  Some blood test for clots was clear.  *wipes brow* Thank you Lord that it's not a heart attack but what is it?  I got a referral for a cardiologist to get a stress test and whatever else they want to do.  And my workout is on hold until that happens.  Thankfully the appointment is on Thursday.  I hope I can get back at it soon though because my 5K is scheduled on March 17th!  And I haven’t even practiced outside yet!  

  

I'm trying to not run "worst case scenarios" through my head.  I'm trying to turn it over to God and not worry.  But this is in part why I enjoy life so much when I feel good.  We don't know the plan the Lord has for us.  We don't know when we'll get a diagnosis of heart disease or cancer.  Today is all we know and we should just focused on that and ENJOY it.  How I need the Lord's strength to focus on what HE wants me to focus on and not distractions that bring me down.  

Ironically the devotion today from "Jesus Calling" was just for me.  The verse referenced was Psalm 141:8.... haha... "But my eyes are fixed on you, O Sovereign Lord: in you I take refuge - do not give me over to death."  See great timing huh?  And this piece from the devo was great!...
"Keeping your eyes on Me is the same thing as trusting Me.  It is a free choice that you must make thousands of times daily.  The more you choose to trust Me, the easier it becomes.  Thought patterns of trust become etched into your brain.  Relegate troubles to the periphery of your mind, so that I can be central in your thoughts.  Thus you focus on Me, entrusting  your concerns into My care." - Sarah Young


This devotion was God's perfect timing!  I have the free app.  It was only a 7 day trial so I got a week back in January when I downloaded it.  While in the ER, I had 4 app updates to do.  I have never seen an update for this app before but it refreshed it to include daily readings for this week.  That blurb above was for TODAY, Feb.21st.  (Wowsers! Perfect timing!)  



Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and look at my hands. Put your hand into the wound in my side. Don’t be faithless any longer. Believe!”  - John 20:27
Couldn't resist that verse to go with that picture I took earlier!  hehe... Anyway, so my run is on hold and for the first time, I can't wait to get back at it!


Smiles,
Mary


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time/Distance Run Summary with notes from FB for my record:
Jan.25.  2.203 miles in 31:38 min
I learned I like to run with freshly brushed teeth!?? And I now sweat more and need to drink throughout my workout. I also remember most of the lyrics to Whoomp there it is! Love Pandora radio!!!!!
The app tells me when to run and walk. I adjust my speed depending on my mood which is often influenced by my music! Pump the jam yo!!
Jan.27  2.032 miles in 31:06 min.  Week 5, Day 1. Got some side pain so slowed it down tonight.
Jan.29 2.054 miles in 31:08 min.  Ran for 8min straight twice this workout!!! Yippee!
Jan.31 2.015 miles in 30:09 min.  I ran for 20min straight!!!!! OMWord!!!! 5min warm up/cool down to complete the 30min workout! Almost done the program!!!
Feb.2  1.851 miles in 26.23 min  Finished wk 6 day 1 which us actually 34min long. I accidentally pulled the emerg cord on my treadmill while turning a magazine page!!!! So I was about 7min and my distance and time reset to zero!!! Oh well.
Feb.5 2.059 miles in 33:02 min
Feb.7 2.061 miles in 32:15 min.  Week 6, Day 3 done! 22min of running!
Feb.9  2.361 miles in 35:07 min.  Warm up 5min. Run 25min. Cool down 5min. I wasn't liking running for so long. What have I started?! Haha! Just keeping it real. Again.
Feb.11  2.505 miles in 35:08 min
Feb.13 2.743 miles in 35:04 min.  I can not believe how close I am to 3 miles!!! It wasn't long ago that 2 was my goal. Seriously wannabe runners, this program is great!!!!
Feb.16 2.644 miles in 38:09 min
Feb.18. 2.366 miles in 35:06 min.  Blah!  Slower today.
Feb. 20 1.169 in 17:49 min
Couldn't finish my workout today! First time ever. But I have a problem and need input:
I have been getting pain on the left side of my chest the past couple runs. It's like a stitch but higher. I feel like I can stretch it so I thought maybe I slept funky the first couple times it happened but now it's beyond annoying. It started this workout pretty much as soon as I started walking on the treadmill. I have a physical scheduled with a new doc the end of March but I was wondering if anyone might be familiar with this? I went rollerskating today and Sat and never felt it then so I really don't understand! I was so uncomfortable today that I stopped running. Just couldn't push thru it.

No comments: