Friday, February 17, 2012

It's a lonely world

I love Facebook but I am very aware that it doesn't reflect reality.  When I see happy family photos, I know that it's a MOMENT captured.  We all have issues.  Kids talk back.  Siblings fight.  Spouses disappoint.  We get frustrated.  But sadly many people go on FB to escape life and troubles and get tricked when they see their friends' smiling photos.  They think the grass is greener on the other side.  
Photo by me. Harkness Park

So many people are lonely and depressed nowadays.  It really IS an epidemic.  Shocking to many I'm sure, but I have a history of depression.  I am currently NOT in one but deal with loneliness every now and again, especially each month before you know what arrives.  It also creeps up on me when I don't spend enough time IN PERSON with my GOOD friends.  And it creeps up on me when I'm not spending time in God's Word.  (If you know me well enough, you might know that when I'm having lonely days, I spend MORE time on FB!  My secret's out!)
I have had some big revelations this year.  I started working out.  I started a new daily (Mon-Fri) bible study that has kept me accountable.  And the next piece I'm working on is to limit my time on the computer and be more present with my husband, kids and in my home.  I have so much more to say on that so stay tuned!
For now I'll leave you with an excellent blog post from Glynnis Whitwer.  She's the one who did that organizing challenge I did not that long ago.  She wrote this piece yesterday about how it's harder to make friends and she summed it up SO WELL!  Please click the link to read it but here are my fav points:

  1. "Based on the feedback we get at Proverbs 31 Ministries, many of you reading this today would classify yourself as lonely."
  2. "In face, at P31, we believe loneliness is epidemic and continues to increase despite all the ways we have to stay connected."
  3. "I do think it's more difficult to make deep connections with friends."
  4. "I can spread myself emotionally thin if I'm not careful."
  5. "It’s too easy to be fake with each other. This has always been a problem, but it’s getting worse with our ability to communicate screen to screen, rather than face to face."
  6. "If much of our conversation happens through a screen, I can manufacture a desired emotional response.  The problem is without complete honesty and vulnerability we can only go so far in friendships."
  7. "In my devotion I made the point that God can use our times of loneliness to draw us closer to Himself."    
Please please visit Glynnis' website.  She is an amazing writer and any time I receive things from the Proverbs 31 Ministry with her name on it, I always stop to read them.  So encouraging!  I hope this might open someone's eyes to the virtual world we live versus the real one right in front of us.  We can't make changes if we don't first acknowledge the problem!  Anyone else struggle with this stuff like me?

No comments: