Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Explaining Pandora & Christian Music

Today at the ladies bible study at my church, we were asked to fill out a questionnaire.  It was about our music preferences so the leaders can prepare for our upcoming music/worship program.  I love that they want our feedback!  I couldn't help but think about how music is so important to me!

I definitely have an eclectic taste.  It just comes down to the song for me.  I listen to Pandora internet radio and can not recommend it enough.  (I use my iPod but you can use a computer too.)  I search for a station based on music style (ie. Christian Rock) or by artist (ie. Black Eye Peas).  Here is a peek at my recent listened to Pandora stations:

I like Praise and Worship or Cat Stevens in the morning because they are mellow, easy listening stations.  But come afternoon, I prefer Black Eye Peas, Mary Mary or the Christian Rock station.  If you search by artist, they play songs by that artist and others who sound similar.  There is a feature to skip songs you don't like and you can rate songs too that better controls what you listen to.  I love it!!  (USKrusader Radio is my husband's treadmill music. haha!)

Anyway, the reason I am sharing all this with you is because when I first started living my life with Christ as the center, the only Christian songs I knew were "Jesus Loves Me", "He's got the whole world in His hands" and "Amazing Grace".  I did not know "The Old Rugged Cross" or "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" or even "Butterfly Kisses".  The last three are rather well know in the church community, but I had no clue.  I remember being at a bible study and the leader asked us to go around and introduce ourselves and to tell everyone our favorite song or hymn.  People said all kinds of songs I didn't know.  When it got to me, I said that my favorite song was "Bootylicious" by Destiny's Child.  I've always been honest; what can I say!    Back in those early days, I thought most Christian music sounded corny, like a high school band or something.  The melodies weren't that catchy to me.  



But after we got some WOW CDs, I learned some popular Christian contemporary songs and that made my worship time at church so much better.  To this day, when I don't know a song (and it happens every week still), I just listen and take it all in rather than try to keep up.

For a long time I didn't really choose Christian music over anything else.  Like I said, I didn't really like it.  It sounded corny and I had no nostalgic ties to it like I did with Madonna, Michael Jackson, Shaggy, Billie Joel, etc.  But I came to realize that the lyrics in many of those songs are NOT what I want my kids to hear and repeat and dance too.  What I LOVE LOVE LOVE about Christian music is that the lyrics aren't all about bumping and grinding with a hot thing, or all consuming about boyfriends and girlfriends and feeling complete in a relationship.  They are songs to God, about God or even just about life.  There are other things to sing about besides hooking up with someone to be happy.

I realized that my kids will have nostalgia when they are older to whatever I have playing now.  I'm sure they will always think of me when "Dirty Bit" by Black Eye Peas comes on and when they hear "In Christ Alone".  I crank it every time when I hear those two songs!

Anyway, this post was inspired by today's questionnaire with thoughts of a friend who said that her family isn't a music family, by another friend who once said she didn't like Christian music, and by a couple other people I know who asked for recommendations for good music.  I hope this post might encourage someone!  

Here are some of my fav songs just to show you how great Christian music really is!

Brandon Heath sounds like John Mayer to me.  Here is "I'm not who I was" 
Great lyrics for me!

Lay 'Em Down by NEEDTOBREATH:

Are You Ready by Mary Mary:

In Christ Alone is one of my all time favs:


1 comment:

Tracey said...

Great post! I struggle with this... I have some issues with "Christian" music and have become ultra picky. Some I love and some just pluck my music nerves for different reasons. For giggles my current favorite song is Party Rock Anthem... we like to dance at our house. There's been lots of running man happening.