Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Rolling off the couch

Hi my name is Mary and I have a history of saying I'll exercise regularly but I don't follow thru.
"Hi Mary"say the fellow couch potatoes.
Sure I am moderately active - I have young kids.  Yes, I dance regularly, hike a little in warmer weather, shop at walmart (that's a work out walking around that place!) but I don't follow a real exercise program.
I don't struggle with weight so it's not an issue anyone can see.  But friends, don't be fooled.  I blogged about my cholesterol here post and discussed my arthritis here.  I made promises and I failed.  Over and over.  Sound familiar?  I am no different that a 300lb contestant on the Biggest Loser... just higher metabolism.
What is it that finally motivates people?  Why do so many of us struggle with taking care of our bodies?
I have no idea.  BUT tis the season to start fresh, new beginnings.. so I decided to work towards my goal of running a 5K.
I found the Couch to 5K running program thru a friend and downloaded the app to my iPhone.  It helps build endurance.  I told a good friend that I was doing this and she said to find a 5K and she'd do it with me.  So I did.  March 17th is the day.  I haven't officially registered because the online option isn't open yet.  But I will.  March 17th is just 3 days before my 35th birthday.  A nice little goal.  A goal.  That might be key for me.  Because just saying that I'll work out each day hasn't cut it.  I'm hoping this will kick start good things to come.
We shall see.  Wish me luck!  Or rather, can you pray for me!

4 comments:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

YAY! It's your year of the hot mom, too! lol

I think that is AWESOME.

And I love your post title. haha

In Light of the Truth... said...

That's AWESOME, Mary!! Having that deadline will definitely give you a kick-start! At least it did for me. And then after the 5K was over... well... I'm not gonna talk about that part. But it's a new year and that race for me is coming up again in June so I'm going to start getting ready again and hopefully this time it will actually stick OR I'll just sign up for another run! Good luck!!

Tami Umland said...

you go girl!!

merlin said...

March 17th is St. Patrick's Day, so grab your green and in fact wishing you luck is very appropriate, May all the Luck you need be with you!

I just finished reading a brutal post on not setting goals or resolutions, but it did make sense in the end, tough read though. Apparently, habits are the way to change, so if knowing you have a 5k race on March 17th motivates you to have the daily habit of excercising/preparing, then after the 17th you will be able to continue with your well established habit. You deserve good health. Good LUCK