Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Decluttering my mind

I subscribe to Proverbs 31 Ministries and their encouraging emails.  They are one my fav Christian resources and highly recommend them!!!  One of their writers, Glynnis Whitwer is blogging a series about ways to declutter.  I can't even tell you how much I need this right now!  Today she discussed MENTAL clutter which is a biiiiiiiiig issue for me.  I love this quote she got from David Allen:
“The big problem is that your mind keeps reminding you of things when you can’t do anything about them."


Ya I've had that problem for YEARS.  And that's why I'm so good at starting things or making big plans and never following through.  When I first go to bed at night I literally think of all the things I need to get done, like from now til I die.  It's exhausting!  I got a tip ages ago to keep a notebook and pen by my bed to jot down things as they come to mind so I could stop replaying my list over and over.  I used to wake up in the middle of the night thinking about my to do list.  It took so much energy because I didn't want to forget.  To take it even further, I actually have been doing something for a little while now that really really helps me!


I think about tomorrow and I write down all that I have to do and want to do.  It's been helping me since life is getting busier with the 3 kids and extra-curricular activities.  So many things I must do when I am home.  And I like the timeline to see when I have "free" time.  I have another ongoing task list in Outlook which I love too.  I put more long term stuff in there.  The kinds of things Glynnis suggests we write down, just to get out of our heads.


I know I'm not alone in this and really hope I might encourage someone reading to declutter.  When we have too much going on IN OUR heads, sometimes that is worse than a full schedule!!  When we hear that we must slow down, I think it might mean our thoughts too!

4 comments:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

"like from now til I die." LOL!

merlin said...

Do you know this Flylady blog?
She is all about getting rid of clutter. She partners with an on-line, free, calendar/planner, Cozi Calendar, It is amazing, even my husband is on board. Check it out, you can put it on your phone, as my husband does, I just use it on the home computer.
www.cozi.com
and then click on family calendar to get started.

Tami Umland said...

Oh such good stuff, I have been realizing it's the mental clutter that is really what makes me crazy and not able to think.

Mary said...

Merlin: Who are you? LOL! I checked out the Cozi calendar and love the concept. My husband and I wanted a shared calendar. Awesome. Thanks! And yes I heard of flylady but I don't care for her plan. I don't wear shoes in the house and can never keep my sink clean! haha!