Friday, December 23, 2011

Newman News 2011

Here is our annual Christmas photo and Newman News, our annual Christmas letter.  
Unfortunately I had to cut my list so I apologize to anyone reading who didn't get a card from us this year. I used to mail so many people and as we moved around and as we get older, we just know so many great people and it's impossible to send a personal greeting to everyone.  This has been very difficult for me because I am a card girl!  I just have to be better about mailing some love throughout the year and not just in December.
Merry Christmas Weekend to everyone!!!  



When I think back on 2011, I see God’s work in our lives.  While some things surprised us, other things were oh so predictible.
Back in May, lightning struck in our back yard, travelled underground and exited by our garage door.  Lights blew out, metal bent and pieces of the door frame blew off.  The buried wires for an old electronic dog fence blasted out of the ground, leaving a line of trenches through the woods around our home.  It was amazing!  God’s power revealed in a split second!
Then in September, Hurricane Irene passed through toppling trees, leaving us without power for a week.  We saw how dependent we were on electricity for running water, flushing the toilet, the furnace for hot water, lights, and applicances (especially the fridge and coffee maker!).  We were amazined how useless we were without the modern conveniences of man.  And oh so grateful to have them back!
In June, my grandmother Melanson passed away.  We travelled to Saint John for the funeral and mourned with the family.  The end of a life I miss so much.
Then in August, we travelled back to oh Canada for my sister Robyn’s wedding.  Time to celebrate a new beginning.  We had a wonderful time being with family on much happier terms!
I’m reflecting on a display of amazing power versus the loss of power.  Thinking of the end of life versus the beginning of life.  How fitting for the bible study I’m doing at church right now in EcclesiastesHere’s a part that’s so applicable.  There is a time for everything.  (It’s not just a Byrds song – think Turn Turn Turn.) 
Ecclesiastes 3:1,2&4.
1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:
2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,
 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,

Illness, death, and loss of power come and disrupt our lives, but it’s just a part of this earthly life we live.  It’s as inevitable as Colin learning to walk, Lance starting preschool and Vienna losing her teeth this year. 
I love what Jesus said in
John 16:33“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”  It really isn’t so complicated.  We have faith in God’s promises and His offer of peace through Jesus.  And that’s why we celebrate Christmas and are so thankful for His birth. 

Hark the herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!
Peace on earth and mercy mild
God and sinners reconciled"


We wish you a wonderful and Merry Christmas!  All the best for 2012 too!!
Love Mary, Jay, Vienna, Lance & Colin

No comments: