Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A dozen years of marriage

We met when we were 14.  He was in my bestfriend's class in Junior High.  I had a big crush on him but he didn't return it.  Who could blame him... look at that jogging suit!!!!


In 1993, I moved away to another province to live with my Dad for 3.5 years.  In 1995, he went to Germany on a high school exchange for a year.  We both returned to our hometown the same summer in 1996.  I looked up old friends.  He was one.  We reconnected and love blossomed.



Fast forward to 1999.  We got married.  We eloped while living in Ottawa.  Family in two difference provinces and in CT.  We didn't have the money to plan a wedding worth travelling for.  So my mom and her side listened live on speaker phone.  5 friends sat on my couch in my livingroom.  And we rented a minister to lead the shin dig.  We weren't even close to being Christian back then.  I actually requested all references to God be taken out of the service.  Although the minister did say this at the end:
“The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.” Numbers 6:24-26


After our wedding we went to an Italian restaurant where 10 of us dined.  The we went dancing at a bar.  It was a fun evening and we have lots of memories, even if not traditional.  I wore a burgundy dress and he wore his greens.  Christmas colors don't ya know!

And 11 years later....

We are more in love than ever.  It's not just the fact that we have three children.  Or we share a history... but our love and focus is totally centered on Christ.  We became believers months apart in 2000.  He was first and I thought he was a whack job.  Then the Lord worked on my heart and voila... I understood.  My eyes were opened!  And good thing we surrendered our lives.  If we continued to live for ourselves, I am sure our selfish and stubborn natures would have driven us apart.

One thing that has reallllllly strengthened us this year is FamilyTalk broadcasts with Dr. Dobson.  We especially are encouraged by the ones about marriage and family.  We have literally learned to treat one another differently because of the viewpoints shared on this show.  And of course, all the sound advice is scripture based.
Ephesians 5:25:  "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her"

My husband loves me just the way I need to be loved.  He enjoys making me happy, which in turn makes him happy.  One of his frequently used quotes: "If Momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy."  He knows that I don't care about flowers.  So he buys me chocolate bars.  He also calls me each day after work to see if I need anything, like milk or even supper if I don't feel like cooking.  He hugs me and tells me I'm beautiful.  He reads to our children each night and teaches them God's word.  I could go on and on.


Our spouse has the power to make us feel like the most important person on the earth and also has the potential of making us feel lower than dirt.  They usually make us feel pretty low when they are being selfish.  I am so grateful that in this season in life, we have returned our focus from the demanding children to our marriage, and one another.  We learned that we can't wait for this oh so tiring time in our lives to be over before we start working on our marriage again.  We need to always love one another first and let our love be an example for our children as they grow up.  And parenting is so much easier when we're on the same page.  

So 12.  TWELVE!  12.  Wow.  That's a long time huh?  And I can truly say, we are WAY more in love today then we were in 1999.  

3 comments:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

You guys are SO cute! Happy happy happy anniversary!

Sunflowerakb's Yellow House said...

thank you for sharing!

In Light of the Truth... said...

such a great post!! Happy 12th anniversary!!