Sunday, November 27, 2011

Elf on a Shelf... a variation

I love Elf on a Shelf!  That little elf is super cute and in fact, I had one when I was a kid and remember playing with it but my Mom didn't hide him.  I asked her about it and she doesn't even remember.  I named him Elf-fly because his hands were attached and I tied a string around them and made him twirl around the room.  We're going back at least 30 years here because I remember the house we lived in.  And we had one in a red suit and one in a green one.  I think the green one had blonde hair.  Sorry - tangent!  Just so fresh in my mind!

Last year I blogged about my opinion of Santa.  Click here to read about that.  My opinion hasn't changed especially since the kids are still young (6, 4, 1).  So keeping that in mind, starting the tradition of Elf on a Shelf would be ME initiating a little tale about Santa and his Elves.  Although I play along, like I said last year, I really don't like initiating anything Santa.  Soooo taking this idea, I am going to hide our angel.  Isn't she cute!

She's floppy and made of felt, just like I remember the Elf.  I hid her last night and the kids enjoyed looking for her this morning (Lance found her).  I love the idea of looking for the angel because in Luke chapter 2, it says:
8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

An angel brought the shepherds good news.  So in my home, I want to keep as much focus on Christ as I can.  So this is a simple and new tradition in our home!

Here's where I hid her last night.  Too bad she fell to the Nutcracker's feet by morning.

I love hearing about different family traditions and I love when my friends post pics of their little elf hiding.  Maybe my idea might spark some hiding angels too!  The kids love it and it's so easy to do!

4 comments:

Emily said...

So what do you do with the Angel? Every night until Christmas read the same verse to them when they find it?

Mary said...

Nope. They already know the story of the angel talking to the shepherds. I just like having that symbol to look for each day. They went to bed asking where I was going to put it. LOL! I don't have a bible lesson attached to this. Now if I was super mom maybe! But no, it's pretty simple.

A Sunflower Knits said...

I like the new tradition you're starting! It sounds like a lot of fun! enjoy.

Alyssa said...

LOVE this idea!! So creative, I have an elf but would have liked this idea better. And you are super mom girl!! <3