Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Miss Mary card teacher. Lesson 1.

Pay it forward - the card making knowledge version...

I started going to a card making group at my old church in Feb 2009. The ladies there had been making cards for years and are a talented bunch! (I'm on a hiatus right now since having Colin and nursing but still connect with them regularly.) As a group they make cards for a stash and the leader mails them out to members of the church as various things come up: a need for encouragement, sympathy, get well, baby dedication, missionary Christmas cards, etc. As a group, they not only make cards but they pray for the recipients too. It's a wonderful ministry!
It was at these meetings that I learned so much about card making... from which glue to use to funky techniques. I have much to learn but now have almost 2 years experience so thought I'd pass on some of what I've learned. :o) There is a lot of card making lingo so pardon all my brackets as I go on little tangents!

I made a card today and used a "bone folder" in a new (to me) way. The bone folder is for making crisp folds and scoring (indenting to make folding easier). Today I used it to distress (make rough looking) edges of paper, which gives my card a different feel. I have this one from Stampin Up! but you can get them at a local craft store too:
SU! is a home based business, like Tupperware and their supplies are awesome! Plus I have a friend from the card group who is a demonstrator. The paper matches the inks and the ribbon and the buttons and it's just so coordinating and wonderful! If this makes you giddy in your chair and you are not making cards yet, you need to be! hehehe

Here is the sympathy card I made today. I stamped the butterflies and text. I colored in the butterflies with watermark colored pencils. The bigger paper is linen paper (nice texture) and the cream colored paper is the one I distressed. It's hard to see in this picture but note the bottom left corner. I curled that.

And here is a closer view of the distressed edge. There is actually a gadget you can buy called a distressing tool that is like a razor blade but I don't have one. I looked on YouTube for ideas on how to do this technique without the tool. I saw ideas using finger tips, scissors and even a nail file. I just did the same thing but with my bone folder.

My card is clean and simple but you will see that's my thing. I don't use many fancy embellishments (card accessories) that much and if I do not a whole bunch at once. Another thing I'm starting to do is make the inside pretty to coordinate with the front.

And that completes lesson 1.

7 comments:

Emily said...

Very exciting and interesting! I have none of the tools what so ever, but have all the scrap booking tools to do what I can do ;) I would LOVE to start learning how to do cards as well. Thanks for this post!

Miranda said...

beautiful card Mary,
the image is adorable and those fragile colours makes it very special
thanks for joining the 2nd DYSU challenge

hugs
Miranda

WencheP said...

This is absolutely beautiful! Love it! Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

-Wenche

*Alison* said...

This is so simple but beautiful.. Way to STACK UP and NOT STRESS but to DISTESS IT!! :) Can't wait to see what you create next week..

HUGS
Alison
Owner DYSU

Peggysue said...

Great job using what you have on hand to get that distressing done! Lovely card.
Thanks so much for playing along with us at DYSU.

princesskitten said...

lovely - simple and elegant

Kitten DYSU team

Marcy said...

Way to use your tools! I have Zutter's Distrezz-it-All and that tool is amazing for distressing. Your card is just beautiful! You card is just beautiful! Thank you for playing along with us this week at DYSU.