Monday, December 20, 2010

Santa Claus

Jay and I both grew up believing in Santa. But since having kids, we just haven't gotten into the whole Santa thing. I just personally don't like how all the hoopla about Christmas is about him and not on JESUS the CHRIST.... CHRISTmas... HIM. But we live in North America and it is very cultural to talk about Rudolph and Frosty and elves and Santa, etc this time of year. We have never told the kids that there isn't a Santa. We just don't discuss him. We don't tell the kids to be good or Santa won't come. We don't do pictures at the mall. But we do listen to Christmas music filled with lyrics about Santa coming to town and we watch movies and tv shows filled with stories about the workshop at the North Pole. And the kids just naturally think he's real. So much so this year that Vienna wrote him a letter. And in the spirit of fun and childhood simplicity, I wrote back. I attached the note for you below.
The reason I did this is because well... I play along. When Vienna tells me she's a princess, I don't tell her she isn't. When the kids pretend that the floor is water and the stairs are a pirate ship, I typically yell for them to watch out for alligators, not hit them over the head with reality. So why should this be any different?
Christmas morning will be about presents - exchanged with the ones we love as a way to GIVE to make others happy. A lesson Jesus taught... love one another. We will have a birthday cake. And we'll reflect on the miracle in the manger. I have learned that by "doing Santa", we don't take away from Jesus. We're just playing along with the youngins... afterall... they are only young a short time.

Dear Vienna,

Thank you for the letter you sent. It was so nice to hear from you this year. The elves have been busy making toys and we’re just about done loading up the sleigh. The reindeer have been resting and are ready to help me deliver presents on Christmas Eve. I don’t come until you are asleep so get to bed early. I hope the reindeer aren’t too loud when they land on your roof.

I can’t wait to see the decorations your parents have up this year. It’s really nice when grown ups and kids remember to honor baby Jesus. Afterall, He is the reason we celebrate Christmas. It’s His birthday. We give presents as a way to show our love to our friends and family. Jesus wants us to love others. Sometimes we forget that and just think about toys. I know you have a good heart Vienna. You are a good big sister and help Mommy a lot. You are definitely on the nice list this year. Tell your brother Lance that he is too. Maybe he can write me a letter next year.

Be a good girl for Daddy and Mommy.
HO HO HO and Merry Christmas!



4 comments:

In Light of the Truth... said...

So cute! You're such a good mommy!

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

melt my heart!

Kathy said...

very, very cute!

Be Strong in the Lord said...

My husband and I are expecting our first child this year (due in March), and we have been wrestling with how we will deal with the issue of Santa since it is so popular with our culture. We really want the focus of Christmas to be Christ. I love the ideas that you expressed in this email. I am going to share it with my husband. Thanks for sharing. The letter to your child was so sweet! And, I think it did a nice job of playing along with the fantacy and putting the focus of the day on Christ. Thanks again for sharing.