Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Power of a Praying Parent

I'm starting a new bible study with my friend Kaley. She lives 13 hours away from me but we have committed to connecting weekly by phone. We already worked through "The Power of a Praying Wife" - although it took us a year and a half and we didn't finish the last couple chapters. But it was great to connect with her regularly and hold each other accountable!
We are in chapter 1 of "The Power of a Praying Parent" and so far so good. I just finished the chapter and had some quotes to share:

"without God we are destined to repeat the mistakes of our past and to mimic what we've observed. A scene from childhood can flash across the screen of your mind and play itself out on the stage of your life in a moment of weakness - before you even realize what has happened. It may occur so quickly that you feel powerless to control it, and it can make you do and say destructive things to your children. This becomes compounded by the guilt that inevitable takes root and grows to often paralyzing proportions. " - p.17

Ah yessss that is ME! My anger boils over so fast! It drives me NUTS but I know it's learned. Both my mom and my dad got angry quick and I do NOT want to pass this on to my kids. It is hard hard hard to fight the inner rage some times. When I fail, I apologize to my kids. I want them to know that I am TRYING. And I think humility goes a long way even with kids.

"God didn't promise that nothing bad would ever happen to my child, but praying released the power of God to work in his life, and I could enjoy more peace in the process." - p.18

"Prayer is acknowledging and experiencing the presence of God and inviting His presence into our lives and circumstances." - p.19

"When we don't pray, it's like saying we have no need of anything outside of ourselves. - p. 20

I need Him! I want to be a good Mom and I can't do it alone!

"..while God has a perfect plan for our children's lives, Satan has a plan for them too." - p.24

Wow... that's perspective and gives me more reason to want to pray for my babes!

Those are some of the nuggets I got from the first chapter. Kaley and I each own the study guide too and we work through that together. Looking forward to more!!!

No comments: