Thursday, July 8, 2010

Chocolate cake and the great mistake

I have a fabulous cookbook! My friend Kaley has an America's Test Kitchen cookbook and it was so awesome that I found one and bought it. I like it for the trusted recipes and the little tidbits of info they share throughout!

It was the book I went to when I needed a chocolate cake recipe yesterday. I normally would make a boxed cake but I just used the ingredients I had in my cupboard. Cooking from scratch I am!

I love that this cake has no butter or milk since I am avoiding dairy as much as possible. (Although I am much more relaxed about it these days. See my recent post on my kids blog for that update.)
I always write in my cookbooks. I wrote that the consistency was very dense almost like brownies. Took longer than the directions said to cook. It was very thick but very tasty.

Above is an example of extra info that I mentioned are throughout the book. I love a good tip!

But I have my own tip to add: Don't use icing sugar/powdered sugar to decorate a birthday cake unless you like cleaning up a big mess! My husband thought something exploded because he blew his candles out so hard and the powder went flying scaring us. But we all laughed pretty hard about it! You live and learn as they say.


3 comments:

collin said...

Looks nice and yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will surely try this out.

Take the Cake Personality Test and find out which cake are you like. I have taken the test and have enjoyed a lot. Hope you too will enjoy it. Have Fun!!

Kales said...

I do?? I don't remember that book.

Mary said...

Kaley: I thought you did. It's not the exact one but Eric used it to make us pancakes.