Saturday, June 12, 2010

Dairy-free and now gluten-free

Background:
Vienna was a great baby. She hated the car but aside from that pretty much only cried when she had a need. She was an observant baby and was content looking around at her world.
When Lance was born, he was fussy. I figured this was the child people thought of when they told me how lucky I was with Vienna. He cried a lot and was inconsolable. I just figured it was colic - whatever that was.
When Lance was about 2 months old, I found blood in a BM. I went to the doctor who told me that dairy was often the biggest culprit. In order to continue to breastfeed him, I eliminated it from my diet. I didn't eat bread with it either... nothing! I read labels and it took about 2 weeks for it to clear out of my system. Sure enough, he was a new kid.

Six weeks ago when Colin was born, I limited my dairy intake just in case Colin was sensitive too. He was fussy from day 1. After two weeks I decided to go hard core just like I did with Lance. I was dairy free for over three weeks and then Colin started having irregular BMs. Confident it wasn't dairy, I called the doctor. Colin's stomach gurgles a lot and he pulls his legs up in pain and he cries a lot. The next thing to avoid is wheat/gluten. I am on day 3 of this diet (and I haven't reintroduced dairy yet because his BMs aren't regular yet. I wouldn't know if it did affect him.) I have to say that this is a lot harder for me. There is wheat in Oreos and licorice - my two fav go to snacks that are non-dairy. I am thankful there are aisles at the grocery store that have tons of gluten-free products so I just have to reorganize how I eat. This is beyond tough for me because I eat a lot of processed food and convenience foods. But here is the irony... I've been saying for years that I want to get healthy and perhaps this is the kick in the butt I need! (See how good God is!) I see this as a great challenge also because of the lack of time I seem to have! But I'm trying to find stuff I have here at home til I get some new groceries.

Hungry me had a good snack earlier with stuff I had on hand.
First off... the Magic Bullet is genius! I threw in a few frozen strawberries, 1 banana and some apple juice (since I can't have milk). Then I tossed in a little flax seed which I've been wanting to add to our diet for awhile. Tasty treat!!!

The kids had milk in theirs but they gobbled them up too!

Although I snack on more nuts and fruit, I am thankful that Starbursts are plain ole sugar! ;o)

1 comment:

Anna's Yellow House said...

Mary -
I'm not sure what sort of g-f items are on your grocery store shelf but I wanted to pass info on this company along. They have a little link on their page where you can share your gluten free story and get a free cookie! I did it and it arrived in the mail this week!
Good luck with going g-f.

www.wowbaking.com