Monday, June 8, 2009

A Mary more like a Martha

At my last Military MOMS meeting, I was going to share a little devotion. Sadly, I didn't get to it but wanted to share with someone. (I love you blog world! hehe)

Our theme was STRENGTH. We went around the room and shared what our own strengths were. I said mine was organization. I am a clutter-bug too, I confess, because clutter can be organized...hehe! I just have a lot of stuff around. Finding what I want quickly is key to my happiness though!

Re: the devotion, I wanted to tie it to strong women in the bible. In preparation, I referred to a book called "Intimate portraits of Women in the Bible" by Lee Roddy. I looked up a couple ladies but stopped at Martha, who I always had a soft spot for.
Here is the part about her in Luke 10:38-42:
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

She's also in John 11, in the story of Lazarus who was her brother.

I identify with Martha because she was outspoken in the both Luke & John, and too busy to sit and appreciate Jesus in the book of Luke. Yup, I'm pretty Martha-like... I like to talk and don't sit much to read my bible and be still before God. I chuckle just thinking about her cautioning Jesus about the stench of Lararus' body! Yes... I am a Mary more like Martha indeed. Oh so practical. And I often think of what's immediately in front of me rather than the big picture.

But the author of this commentary, did outline her strengths which is great. A different perspective on the often looked down upon Martha. Her biggest strengths were her gift of hospitality and her faith. She says in John 11:27 to Christ: "Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the Christ,the Son of God, who was to come into the world." Awesome! See... not just her mistakes that we learn from that make her memorable.

And to quote Lee Roddy because he sums it up well:
"So Martha has come down through the centuries as a woman who opened her home to Jesus, who at one point complained to Jesus about her sister, and who later served Jesus with gratitude for what He had done. Martha was very human. She spoke her mind, displayed some sisterly rivalry toward Mary, and yet had such trust in Jesus that her ringing declaration of faith is still with us.
Martha had once been so busy doing things that she had to be gently reproved by Jesus. Through He did not condemn her, He told her that she had lost her peace of mind because she emphasized the wrong things. From Martha we learn that sometimes even the important things, like good hospitality, should take second place to being with Jesus, for that's the best thing in life."

True that! And Facebook and blogging and phone calls too... should all come second. Many lessons learned from my Martha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! Thanks for posting.
Oh and by the way, I would have warned Jesus about the smell coming off Lazarus' dead body. Have you ever smelt a dead body??? That's one smell I well NEVER forget.