Saturday, May 9, 2009

To bake or not to bake?

Lots of people like to bake with their kids. I am afraid I am not one of them. I wanted the kids to help me make chocolate chip cookies today but it was not a fun experience for me. Before we even started the kids licked the stir spoons and Lance put the bowl on his head. Eww! Not sanitary. I decided to give them their own little bowls with flour and other ingredients just to play in while I did the real thing. I tried to stay positive as I talked through what I was doing. Then Lance started eating the flour/water mixture. Then the goop got all on their hands and it was all over the chairs they were standing on, the counter and the cupboard. Vienna rubbed her hands as she walked towards the sink so the crumbs got everywhere. This created more work for me and I could feel my enthusiam draining away from the get go! Here I am striking a happy pose for the kids' sake as Lance licks on.I have much more fun playing board games and reading to my kids. So you know, I didn't win a mother of the day prize today, but that's ok. We don't all fit into this perfect little mold of what we should do with our kids and that is the encouragement I'd like to bring to someone today! Don't do things that stress you out. It isn't as fun.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Thank you! I'm so glad that someone else feels this way. I always feels so badly about it, but I know that there are lots of other things I like to do with the kids that are enjoyable for me as well. :) Thanks for sharing.