Saturday, January 10, 2009

Monkey see. Monkey do.

You know Proverbs 22:6.... Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he shall not depart from it"... Well I like what I read in Elizabeth George's book "A Mom After God's Own Heart":

Train a child in the way he should go, and go that way yourself.

I sat here this morning watching my 22 month old son copy my almost 4 daughter's every move and realized how true that quote is. I remind her all the time to mind what she's doing because her brother will copy.
"Don't yell, Lance will yell."
"Don't stand on the couch, Lance will try it too and get hurt."
etc.

But it was this morning that I needed to say those things to myself too. I need to be mindful of the behavior he is observing by ME!
How am I starting me day? Does he see me with my bible?
How do I treat his sister and daddy?
Am I staying busy around the house or on the computer too much?
The list goes on and it applies to both children of course.

Reminded me that these early years are the building blocks to their character. I better be a good little monkey.

No comments: