Thursday, August 21, 2008

My testimony

August 23rd is a special day for me. It was that day in 2000 that I wanted Jesus to be a part of my life. I was baptized on May 12, 2002 and wrote out my testimony then. With my 8th "birthday" coming up, I'd like to share it with you:
Growing up in New Brunswick, Canada I didn't come from a born again Christian family. I did go to a Catholic church with my paternal grandmother until age 6 and an Anglican church with my maternal grandmother on and off again until age 12. At 11, I was confirmed in the Anglican church. During my teen years, I attented a Baptist youth group. At 15, I moved in with my father and stepmother and ended up following native teachings for 3 years. At 18, I moved out on my own, simply believing there was a Creator, but I followed no faith. My husband and I got married in December 1999 and I moved to Connecticut in July 2000. My husband was saved in March 2000 and when I moved here, he went to church and together we went to the Roarings 20s group. I just wanted to meet people in a new area, but God had bigger plans. I was being exposed to the personal side of Christianity, not the routine that I was used to. Everyone was so normal... real... and loved God. But "accepting Jesus as my Savior" didn't make sense to me. I had to start with Adam and Eve and learn how they were seperated from God. I needed to know WHY I needed Jesus. I couldn't accept Him without really understanding. On August 23, 2000, I accepted Jesus as my Savior so I could have a personal relationship with God.
So there it is! The great day I had many questions answered and things fell into place for me. I remember being in the bathroom late at night while Jay was sleeping. We lived in a one room studio apt so that was the only place for privacy. I prayed to God and I couldn't even believe the overwhelming sense of peace that came over me. Since then I have gone to church and met some incredible people who encourage me to live my life for HIM. To praise Him for this beautiful world. And praise Him when times are tough. I can't image life without Christ now!!!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

awesome story Mary ... I am so glad to have you as a sister in Christ!

AmyD said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony Mary!

Tami Umland said...

praise God, glad you are my sister in Christ