Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Sidetracked Sisters

I recently heard of "The Sidetracked Sisters" and just finished their book called "Happiness File". Next on my to read list is their book "Home Executives" which is the one I should have read first.

I love the idea they offer to get organized. They suggest using a 3x5 index card system. These books were written before computers as we know them now but I think this system is clever. Creating sections in a file box for daily, weekly and monthly tasks. Sections for people, gifts, special occasions. Basically your life on 3x5 cards.

On another note, when I read books like this I use a blank sheet of paper as a bookmark and keep a pen close to write down clever quotes, etc. I thought I'd record them here. Bye bye loose papers!

"What we call failure is not the falling down but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

p.141 re: divorce... "if it's said enough times, it soon becomes an option and then a reality." Marriage is togetherness not seperation.

p.196. Raising kids isn't easy, but then growing up isn't either.

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." -Mark Twain

p.262. "It is more blessed to give than it is to just think about it." -Peggy A. Jones

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do have my life on index cards...have done it for about 15 years now! I like having b'days written on them for each month, so if I am going to buy a card, I can just take the whole card w/me (or make them if the case be). I also used to write acct#s for elec, cable, stuff like that, so I wouldn't have to go searching a bill for the #...and pin #'s, since my old brain can't remember what it used to.Sounds like an interesting book, Love Bee